Saturday, March 14, 2015

It's a dreary, rainy day, BUT it's warm...about 60 already. Hopefully our really cold weather is finished and we will stay warm.

We didn't learn much yesterday at Bill's hematology consult. What they are concerned with are some immature white blood cells. As Dr. Smith explained it, white blood cells go through many stages of development, from being formed in the bone marrow to the mature cells that show up in the blood. For some reason some immature cells have escaped the bone marrow. This could be anything from an infection to cancer. After looking at the previous lab results and examining Bill, and lots of questions, he's as baffled as we are, or at least he gave that impression. He said he sees nothing so far to indicate what it could be. He is going to look at his blood himself under the microscope while sending some off for some more complex tests. He's requesting some records from Mayo, and I got the ball rolling on some of that yesterday after we got home. We go back on the 27th to see what this new bloodwork will show.

We were finally able to get out of the house on Monday and it felt really good. I picked up my new glasses and had a hard time adjusting to them. Only my left eye had changed so I really couldn't understand why both eyes were hurting. But, I tricked them. I closed my eyes before I put them on and they've been fine since. I learned that several years ago from an eye dr.

I had some labs done this week to get new prescriptions and saw the new nurse practitioner instead of the dr. I really liked her. All of my numbers were good except I need to drink more water. I drink all day, just not plain water. So, since I'm always nagging at Bill to drink more water, I need to nag myself to drink more. She also gave me some samples of an arthritis medicine to use for my thumbs when Aleve doesn't help. Other than that she said everything else looked fine. I now need to set up for a physical and she can do all of it, including the lady stuff. That will really help instead of having to make multiple appointments. The only extra one will be for the mammogram.

Our granddaughter McKenna was going to come here after school Wednesday, but Tuesday evening she started feeling bad and was pretty sick on Wednesday morning. Her daddy took her to the dr, he was sick too, and she tested positive for a very strong case of strep throat. She's feeling better now, with mega doses of antibiotics, and Emily was lucky enough to be able to pick up the work she had missed. I'm really glad that she didn't come here. That's something we don't need!

The battery in Bill's Thunderbird died this week, or we discovered it was dead this week. We think that the door didn't close completely the last time he drove it. I noticed that it sounded like it was latching, but looking at it, could tell that it had not. We also discovered that the remote will not work if the battery is dead. Since that battery is in the trunk, we had to find where the emergency lock was. There's no way on the outside of the trunk to use the key. Usually these locks are in the glove box but this one is on the shelf behind the drivers seat! At least we had the owners manual to refer to. After a couple of hours on the battery charger it fired up and Bill drove it around the block. We haven't checked it since because it's been raining constantly and we haven't wanted to go out unless absolutely necessary.

All for this week. It's going to be a long 2 weeks until we get the results from Dr. Smith. So, any of you reading this, say an extra little prayer that the results will be good and it's something that can be taken care of easily.

2 comments:

  1. Sure hope they didn't give your granddaughter a fluoroquinolone antibiotic! Every time I hear someone mention antibiotics, I cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was plain old amoxicillin, just a big dose to start with.

    ReplyDelete