Saturday, August 15, 2015

This week has been interesting. We've had tragedy, sadness, and excitement. I'll see if I can remember all of it. I probably should have started this post at the beginning of the week so I wouldn't forget anything.

Saturday a young woman was murdered in town, all for saying hi to her ex-boyfriend. Twelve more were shot in the same incident. A mob of 200 showed up at the hospital and it had to go on lockdown. Because so many law enforcement officers had to be called in, it finally woke the powers that be up. The state prosecuting attorney has instructed his prosecutors that any violent crime involving a gun will not be plea-bargained. Any plea will contain a stay at the penitentiary. Of course, the judges will have to follow through and the one judge we have in town has a tendency to be lenient.

Monday the father of a friend of ours passed away. He was also the grandfather of our former daughter-in-law. Her mother is very high-strung so it fell mostly to Mistie to get things done. So, I helped her get pictures and poems and such ready for the funeral. We kept Kayden and Kiyann for her while she had a class to keep her bus job for school. They are really good kids and weren't a problem. But, while they were here I spilled a full glass of Diet Coke only my laptop! So far so good, nothing seems to have been damaged, and since it was diet I didn't have to worry as much about the sugar in it. 

Emily told me early Tuesday that she had gotten a text from a co-worker that there were lots of cops heading into town. At first they were saying that there was going to be a 700 person riot downtown protesting the young woman's death. But, it turned out that it was a major drug/gun bust. They served 70 warrants and arrested 55 on federal felony charges. We even had the FBI in town along with the IRS CID. Bill and I went to a going away party for a former co-worker of mine at the office and while we were waiting for lunch to arrive we saw a SWAT van pull up, with 2 other smaller vehicles. When the doors were opened, they said FBI on the inside of the door. They were going to have lunch at the BBQ place across the parking lot! The IRS raided a prominent pawn shop and confiscated their computers for allegedly receiving stolen goods. The store is still open so maybe I need to see if any computers look familiar! The federal prosecutor has also said that they weren't going away. This raid was the result of 2 years of undercover work and they said, as if we didn't know it, that our town was a major stop on the drug scene.

Emily and I went to the funeral visitation Thursday night and they we went to the funeral. If you remember from back about a year, I had said I wouldn't put Bill through another funeral unless it was absolutely necessary. After just attending Ben's, I told him he didn't have to go to this one, especially since it was a military funeral. If was a very nice graveside service. 

Bill did do some walking this week, which he hadn't done for awhile and he said he could really tell that he hadn't been walking. Maybe now that school is starting, although I don't really know why since we don't have any kids in school, we'll both get back into some kind of routine.

So, the tragedy of another murder (this was #15 for the year I think in a town of about 15,000), the sadness of the death of a friend, and the excitement of the raid made for a full week. I also managed to get the baby sweater finished Saturday but didn't go to the shower. In my free time this week I added booties and a bonnet and I will take it to church tomorrow. If only Bill would let me teach him to knit! So, until next week...have a good one!

1 comment:

  1. Goodness gracious, I don't know how you keep a clear thought in your head with everything going on. I'd have to take notes to keep everything straight.

    Kudos on the knitting!

    ReplyDelete