Saturday, October 7, 2017

If all good things must come to an end, why can't all bad things do the same?

Bill is greatly improved and finally started using his treadmill again this week. He only went out and walked once, but at least he did. We had a little discussion about him needing to take a small oxygen tank out with him when he's walking from the house to the apartment and back. He doesn't think he needs it but I told him when he walks without it his oxygen drops too low and he could pass out. He got really testy after that until I told him to stop because he was just ticked at me. After that he was fine.

We ordered him a portable, battery powered concentrator this week. Dr. Burbeck had said that she would pursue us renting one for our trips to Florida, but we want to be freer than just those 2 trips. We want to be able to pick-up and go somewhere all day or week-end without worrying about how long we can be gone before we have to change tanks and all the other stuff that you've read about here. So, after some research for the one that would give him the flow he needs, we ordered it. We also ordered extra batteries and an external charger and the total was less than $3000, including shipping. The rentals are minimum $500/week so it wouldn't take much to get to the cost and beyond. They have to get the prescription from the dr. before shipping it so hopefully it won't take that long. I can plug him into the car and off we can go. Maybe he'll use it walking outside then too. We're still going to keep the tanks as back-ups for the back-ups, and having the little ones for a quick meal out will be better since the battery one is bigger than the ones advertised on tv.

My finger looked horrible for most of the week. The swelling didn't last much past dinner (I think it was keeping it cold that helped) but by Monday it was almost black in places. It looked like the skin of someone on blood thinners who have hit their arm on something. That has finally all gone away. Just another reason not to keep using the tanks!

I'm still dealing with the hives! I had my thyroid tested this week as a nurse friend had sent me an article on hives being a sign of thyroid problems. It came back within the normal range. Normal is .4-4.0 and mine was .67. I talked to that same friend this week and she said she's been on thyroid medication for years and sometimes her test will show wacky numbers and the dr. will ask if she's taking her medicine. I remembered, or seemed to remember, that I had an under-active thyroid when I was a teenager and had to take meds for a while. I confirmed it with mom and she reminded me that I went from a size 7 junior petite to a misses 14 then! Why did that have to be the result of kick-starting it! Anyway, that's when I had the test done. Thursday evening I looked like I had the measles, little red spots (they weren't even bumps) over my entire body!

Yesterday morning I woke up at 4 and got up and had no hives and felt wonderful and rested and had energy all day. I did buy groceries and while I was at Walmart the hives came back on my arms, but after coming home and sitting for a bit they went away. I still wasn't tired during the day and only got sleepy about 9:30. Didn't sleep as well last night and woke up to welts on my arms and a rash on my neck! The Zyrtek and Prednisone are working again and they are fading, but I can still see them under my skin.

I read a blog this morning that I follow and this writer detailed that she had been to her semi-annual check-up and her thyroid numbers were out of whack again so they were tweeking her meds. She then said that she has suffered from hives caused by thyroid problems since she was a baby and can have outbreaks that last for 5-6 months! She did say there is a new treatment, an infusion of some kind, that will stop the outbreak almost immediately, but she said insurance sometimes balks at paying it and some drs. don't want to give it. But, after reading that, I think I'm going to pursue the thyroid angle. I don't think it is dermatological, I think it is all internal. And, depending on the cost, what price sanity? It's only money!!! If it means that I'm not itching and grumpy (Kenna said yesterday was the only day I haven't been crabby) it's worth it.!

I'm taking the kids to see the baby this afternoon. Bill is staying home so we won't stay long. We also have to take the cat in for her allergy shot. Hopefully her new skin treatment will be in so that we don't have to keep taking her. 

I know I've told you about the neighbors across the street that have borrowed so much money. We had finally just quit giving it to them. The father came over at some point in the last 2 weeks and need 150 for the dr. for his son. He said he needed to be in the hospital but wouldn't admit him without the money up front. We didn't give him any (mainly because we didn't have the cash on us) and I noticed over the next few days that their car was gone, even though there were lights on in the house. I read early this week that the son passed away Sunday. He was only 57. The dad has only been back to the house a couple of times. I think he's staying with a daughter in Jonesboro. I feel kind of bad for not giving them the money, but I know it's not our fault. He had some major medical problems, including a leaking aortic valve that he wasn't getting treated. His mother passed away from the same condition at about the same age, if I'm remembering right.

OK, enough bad stuff! The Cubs made it to the playoffs and won their first game last night, defying all of the pundits, including the game announcers who were singing the praises of the opposing team and pitcher...until the Cubs scored the first run. Then it was how brilliant the Cubs pitcher had been and yada, yada, yada. Game 2 starts late this afternoon...hope the kids want to listen to it on the radio!

See you next week, I'll keep you posted on the hives!



No comments:

Post a Comment