Wednesday, May 2, 2018

It's been an eventful day, so decided to go ahead and update this while things are somewhat fresh. We're both really tired. It told Bill part of me wants to get up early and get out of town before rush hour like we usually do, and another part wants to sleep in and leave later. But, since we have reservations in north Alabama tomorrow night I would get through Birmingham at the wrong time of day, and Birmingham is not fun at any time of day. I also told him that if we wouldn't lose the money for the room tonight, I would leave this afternoon and get partway. Can you tell I want to go home?

Except for Bill's white count, which is up again, all of his labs looked good to Dr. Patel. He said the stress test today was fine and he didn't see any problems with the heart. He did talk extensively about the inactivity and lung problems. He is wanting Bill to have some physical therapy when we get home, followed by some cardiac rehab. But, he doesn't want to step on Dr. Bubeck's toes. He also agree with Connie that he would benefit with a low dose antibiotic continually and he suggests a 3 month regimen of a steroid before tapering off. I've already talked to Emily about setting us up with Connie Monday to discuss this with her. Emi also said that if Dr. Patel would send the order to their office, they could probably set up the rehab and therapy. I will probably call Dr. Burbeck also when we get back to see what she thinks. Dr. Patel said he would be glad to prescribe everything, but since pulmonary is not his area of expertise, and he doesn't know if he is legally able to prescribe in other states, he would like for them to do it. But, if there are any problems, he will be glad to do it, all we have to do is call.

The dermatologist removed a small growth on Bill's ear that he suspects is cancerous. One was removed last year in about the same spot and this one has grown up since then. The other one was not sore, but this one hurt. So, a little snip and it's gone. He said he would call with any "bad" results and that I could read the results on the patient portal. He said he would also send a letter. There was another spot on his cheek that he thought might be pre-cancerous and he froze that one. He didn't think he (Bill) would need to be seen any more frequently that yearly and to call if there were any other places that appear or might be concerning.

I did buy a small wheelchair after we got here, and put it together in the parking lot of the hotel in the back of my car. All that had to be done was attach the wheels and foot rests and it was actually easy to do. There was a young man sitting at the end of the parking lot talking on the phone and I heard him say he was watching an old lady try to put a wheelchair together in the back of her car. My thought was why don't you come and help her! But, got it done and it has been a wonder! I'm so glad we did it.

We've been so tired at the end of each day that we haven't been to the beach or pier. I'm already tired today so don't know if we'll get there this evening or not. We did eat in Jacksonville Beach last night, but the restaurant is not on the beach. It's a small Greek diner that has fantastic food. Bill had fish and chips and ate all 4 pieces of fish and most of the fries. I opted for breakfast and had a ham and cheese omelet with home fries and toast. Ate all of the huge omelet and some of the fries and toast. We've talked about going to our favorite pizza place tonight, but I'm not sure it I want pizza or not. We still have some time before we have to decide.

I must say that this trip was stressful, but my blood pressure stayed down, was actually 127/76 this morning, although my heart rate was high. So, I'll be glad to get to the cardiologist in a couple of weeks to see just what is going on. I did notice that I did not get as stressed driving (Alabama drivers are the worst) so my little pill was working, but it was not helping deal with Bill at times. I remember my grandmother getting very short with my grandfather at times and I catch myself doing the same thing. I try not to, but my goodness, he can be very whiny at times! I told him the other day he's becoming very negative about everything and I was going to start doing the little engine that could...I think I can, I think I can. I know things are hard for him, but all of the sighs and groans can be exasperating! And of course, Dr. Patel told him the same things I've been telling him. It was all I could do not to say I told you so!

So, that's the update for this trip. Tonight will be for packing up and getting things ready to leave in the morning. We told the grandkids that we would stop at a shoe outlet tomorrow on the way home and get them the shoes they love. Hopefully they will have them in the colors they want. I don't know if I will update now Saturday or not, just check in and see!





No comments:

Post a Comment