Saturday, May 12, 2018

Summer has arrived! It's been super hot this week, and not looking to cool off much. We're going to be setting some record highs in the next few days...which means we will not go out much at all. There have been some lovely breezes/winds, but they are very warm so don't do much to cool things off.

Bill had a consult with Connie Monday morning. She agreed with Dr. Patel and he's back on Augmentin, Doxycycline, Prednisone, cough syrup, nebulizer treatments and having his blood sugar checked. He's one of those that is susceptible to "steroid induced diabetes". It's not true diabetes, his sugar goes up when he's on steroids and then goes back down when he's off. She did hear a little crackle in the bottom of the left lung, but he's moving air well, even though at times he has a fierce cough.

He didn't feel well Saturday and spent most of the day in bed. He also had no appetitie all week-end. I think it was a combination of all the travel and the elevated white count. He finally coughed some nasty looking stuff up and out. I took a picture of it to show Connie and told her that the consistency was about that of a raw egg, it was that clingy. The cough hasn't been that bad since so maybe he got some of the infection up. It wasn't green or gray or bloody, but think and yellow. Eww, enough of that!

His sugar, as expected has gone up. I took it yesterday morning before he had anything to eat and it was 221. A little while later, still with nothing to eat but a little coffee and water for his meds, Amy came and drew labs and then called and said that I was to take him off the Prednisone for the week-end because it had gone up to 253. I was also supposed to give him 5 units of insulin. I checked before we had supper and it had gone up even higher to 273 so another 5 units of insulin and then before bed time, 2 1/2 hours after eating, it was 249. So, it's all out of whack. Today if it's between 200-250 he gets 5 units of insulin and if it's between 250-300 he gets 7 units. She said if it's over 300 to call her. Hopefully we'll get it under control soon. 

We still haven't heard anything from physical therapy and we are not doing cardiac rehab. She agreed that by the time we make the 2 hour round trip drive with the therapy in between he would lose any gains made. But, we did have a little break through yesterday! He actually picked up the small trash can we keep beside our chairs and carried it into the kitchen and emptied it (one of his normal jobs that I've been doing) and then he walked back into the kitchen a little later and fixed himself a cup of coffee! He was still a little winded when he sat back down, but not as much as he had been. I've been telling him, and the drs. concurred, that just 5 minutes of walking through the house a couple of times a day would be very helpful. He finally told me last night that he thought he could start doing that! So, small steps!

My appointment with the cardiologist is Monday and my friend Phillis is going with me. Brianna is going to stay here with Bill for lunch. She may have to leave to pick kids up from school since that is her job, but he should be OK and maybe I'll be heading home by that time.

I've felt very well for the most part except for the past couple of days, but the pollen count is extremely high and I can tell it's affecting me. The B12 pills have kicked in and I do have more energy, but when it leaves, I'm done in. There have been a couple of nights this week that I've been totally exhausted by 8 and can't keep my eyes open. And when I can't stay awake to watch the end of a Cubs game (unless they are on the west coast) I'm tired! But I'm getting some things done around here. You can't tell it much, but I can!

I think that's about it from this end. Happy Mother's Day to all the Mother's out there, and the Dad's that pull extra duty. I'll let everyone know how my appointment went and how Bill's doing next Saturday! Have a lovely week-end and week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment