Wednesday, September 19, 2018

It's getting closer! We saw every dr. except the one we needed to see, the one who holds the discharge decision in his hands!

I got to the hospital a little earlier yesterday. I needed to make a Walmart run for some sinus meds yesterday so left early. When I got to the hospital, Bill was in his chair, his bed had been freshly made and he had eaten his breakfast. He said he had had a good night but that his right ear was completely deaf. I think the fluid had moved around with a nose blow. At one point I told him that he had to stop talking so loud. I knew it was just because he couldn't hear himself, but he was practically yelling.

He had physical therapy and he still got a short of breath after walking, but recovered after a minute or two. He would recover faster if he would just quit talking! They did some standing exercises also. He didn't see occupational therapy, but he doesn't need help dressing or self-care so they may not come back as often.

Cardiology is satisfied and is just waiting for Dr. Threlkeld to say that he can be discharged from his standpoint.

The ENT dr. came in and when she heard that he couldn't hear because of the fluid, she said she wished she had gone ahead and scheduled the procedure to clear his sinuses when it was first mentioned. She checked with cardiology and he would have to be off his aspirin for 5 days before the procedure which would put it into next week. She then consulted with Dr. Threlkeld and they agreed that they would continue with the nasal sprays and antibiotics and after all the antibiotics are finished, then we would see her and she would do the procedure as an outpatient, if necessary. 

As I had expected, he had not gotten his sprays or inhalers. I gave him the inhalers and asked his nurse about the sprays. She said she had offered them to him and he said he didn't need them. So, I told him he had to use them and I told the nurse she may need to just use them which is what Brian did over the week-end.

Dr. Fox came in and said that he sounded better. When I told him that we already knew that he would be going home with IV antibiotics, he said that as far as he was concerned, whenever Dr. Threlkeld gave the OK to discharge, it was fine with him.

So, it looks like everyone has signed off....except for Dr. Threlkeld! And, he hadn't come in as of 5:30 last night when I left. Of all the days for him not to come in! Anyway, I don't know how long it will take them to contact Home Health to get the IV supplies set up for delivery and all of that. But, it's getting closer. I would imagine by the end of the week he'll be home, unless there is some kind of set-back. I've already made sure the calendar is up to date with appointments already scheduled so there won't be any conflicts when they start making the follow-up appointments.

So, it was another semi-eventful day. As I was on my way home, I rounded a curve and there was the biggest, most beautiful rainbow I have ever seen, right in front of me, and not a sign that it had rained. I have never seen one as bright as this was, or as wide. It was absolutely gorgeous! I then got a few sprinkles on the windshield and could see out in the fields that there was a little shower. I was actually sad when the rainbow started to fade. There were some places after that that I could tell that it had rained, but other than a few sprinkles, there was not rain during the drive.

That's it as far as yesterday went, baby steps in the process of getting to come home. Bill is really anxious to get home, and I'm anxious about him being home! I'm not anxious about the IVs after talking to Mary-Rose about them. I'm more anxious that he will fall, or get so winded that he has a panic attack.

Oh! I almost forgot! I found online that they make oxygen tubing that has the nasal cannula, but coming off of the nose piece is a prong, like a big J or hook that fits into the mouth, so it doesn't matter if the patient is a mouth breather or not, oxygen will be delivered! It was only 5.95, so I ordered 2 of them. I paid more for the shipping and they should arrive Friday! If that works and is not too uncomfortable for him to wear, that could be a life changer for him! Let's keep everything crossed that it works!

OK, now I'm really done. See you after today's adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment