Wednesday, March 13, 2019

This is the day! All systems are go for Bill to come home today! All of the therapies have signed off. I've been told what to watch for as far as swallowing problems, him getting too tired while walking, mostly things we've dealt with before.

I wasn't able to go over what I wanted to with the nurses, but they did make sure we had the medical equipment we will need, including a nebulizer for breathing treatments, glucose monitor, and everything else we can think of. I'm going to check with our oxygen supplier to see if they have the cylinder slings that go over the back of a wheelchair that we've been using. That will be so useful when we are at appointments. Usually Bill holds it in his lap or squeezes it in beside him. But, if it can hang on the back it will be much easier.

Most of his "stuff" was brought home yesterday. I have to take an extra bag today for the rest, and it's mostly small things, plus his blanket. His small oxygen tanks are already in the car. I haven't decided if I'm going to throw his walker in or not, the chair is already there. They will wheel him out to the car in their chair and he won't need the walker going into the house, so will probably just leave it here.

I'm excited and a little apprehensive at the same time. I'm not scared of having to do all his care myself, there's no "care" to really do. I suppose is like someone who has been single for a long time getting married. For nearly 4 months, 119 days, I've had the house to myself with the cats. No sharing the bed, no sharing the bathroom, no sharing the remote for the TV. I  could yell at the cats in the middle of the night if they were fighting, I could talk out loud to them early in the morning, and a myriad of other things. That all changes today...I'll have to stay on my side of the bed, not turn a light on when I get up in the morning until I leave the bedroom, close the bedroom when I get up. Just little things.

One thing that will have to be addressed, and soon, is Bill's weight. Hopefully they'll go over that today. As of yesterday he only weighed 129.5 pounds. I see a lot of milkshakes in his future, yet it takes so little to fill him up. So, I'm planning on him eating 6 small meals throughout the day instead of 3 larger ones. I think that's part of his problem with not eating, they give him so much food he's overwhelmed just looking at it. I've got some meals planned so that I don't have to chop meat, but the way speech talked yesterday, as long as the meat is very tender and won't take a lot of effort to eat he shouldn't have a problem. She's not worried about his swallow as much as his oxygen level dropping because of the effort it takes to chew. So, we'll take it easy these next few days as far as meats go.

We're supposed to get severe storms this evening. The rain is supposed to start mid-afternoon so I'm hoping all the rest of the paperwork gets done this morning and we can be home by noon. 

I may give an update tomorrow to let you know how the transfer home went, but then will probably go back to the weekly Saturday posts. We'll play it by ear for awhile I'm sure, so just keep checking in! OK, gotta get the last things done here, new O2 tubing connected to the concentrator, sheets in the wash, just little things!

No comments:

Post a Comment