Sunday, February 2, 2020

Bill went on trach collar at 9:55 yesterday morning and after a rocky start, stayed on it until 4:10. The goal was 2-6 hours, so 6 hours and 15ish minutes before he was put back on CPAP.. He did really well after a while. He did a lot of coughing up junk and had to be suctioned a few times, but then he settled down. Of course right after he was transferred, they came in to do his bath and put him in his chair. So, he was really busy for awhile, and didn't get a chance to really settle in and just breathe. When he was put back only the CPAP he said he could tell the difference, he could feel the pressure keeping his airway open. I would imagine that we'll have a new piece of equipment by the time we go home.

Dr. Yaranov said he sounded a little tighter than he had the day before, and that was borne out with all of the stuff he was coughing up. But, he still didn't sound as bad as he had in the past.

The PICC line was removed after I left Friday and a new IV inserted in his left wrist. I looked at it at one point yesterday and it looked bloody. When they came in to put him back to bed, it wasn't his nurse but my favorit one Laura and I asked her to look at it. I told her I realized she wasn't his nurse and hadn't seen it before, but she looked and said that it was fresh blood. She flushed it and it flushed and drew back so it hadn't blown the vein, and when she took the old bandage off (one of those clear ones) she could see a small clot at the insertion site. She cleaned it up and put on a new bandage and said she would let his nurse know. I was mainly concerned because of the Eliquis, any bleeding could be dangerous, if not fatal. So I hope they did keep an eye on it.

The hearing aids did come yesterday, but they wouldn't leave them because a signature was required. I called FedEx to see if I could waive signature but I could not. I also could not redirect it to another address, only to opt to pick it up...somewhere. That left me with a real dilemma. Who do I get to sit at my house until it came Monday, or do I stay home until it comes and then go to the hospital? When I got home I looked at the sticker that had been put on the door and the driver (may have been our regular one who brings meds) had marked the box to waive the signature. So I signed the back of the slip and will put it out tomorrow morning when I leave. I'm also going to leave instructions for him to put it either between the doors, or behind the hedges. Of course now any nefarious theif in the neighborhood who happens on to this will know where to find it! Oh well! I'm also going to download the FedEx app so that I will know when it is delivered and have Emily come on her lunch hour and pick it up. I know Joe our neighbor would do it, but his cancer treatments have been kicking his butt this time around, so I don't want to bother him with it.

The weather is changing yet again and my body can tell. I had acid reflux all last night, was up twice taking meds (thanks Dominos) but, woke up with sinuses draining, eyes watering and a headache. A weather headline said we could reach 70 in the next few days with thunderstorms either starting tomorrow night or Tuesday. But, there was no rain or fog yesterday morning, only a little haze in the fields and the sun was shining when I came home from the hospital. So, I guess my trial has ended.

Ryan and Amanda came by last night to put the cat scratching post together and like I thought it only took 2 minutes. Then we ordered pizza. I told Ryan it wasn't much of a birthday dinner but he said it worked for him (his birthday is the 5rh).

I'm getting tickled on my ankles so I must have a cat at my feet, and I need to start getting things ready to go. I'm still leaving a little later this morning, but not as late as I would like so that I'll be there when he's switched over. I hope it's earlier so that I don't have to stay really late. The tech thanked me for staying through the entire trial yesterday. It meant that she didn't have to be quite as vigilant although she was right there if he got into trouble. I just told my mantra that everyone should know by now "he's my husband, that's my job"!

No comments:

Post a Comment