Sunday, February 2, 2020

Today was pretty dull and boring. Bill went on trach collar about 9 this morning and didn't have as much trouble adjusting as yesterday. Stephanie said the goal today was 10-16 hours, depending on how he was doing. As of 4:45 when I left, he was at 100%.

Stephanie and Amanda from cardiology both said he sounded a little junky, but he was coughing the secretions up. They looked rather thick to me when I was suctioning him. And, if people familiar with trach care and suctioning, no, I am not doing the deep suctioning through the trach. I just suck up the secretions that he coughs to the mouth of the cannula.

We watched movies again all afternoon and about 2:30 they came to put him in his chair. He didn't want to do it, but he lost that battle. I told him when I left that he had been up long enough that he could go back to bed if he wanted.

And that's how the day went. It was quiet and, as I said, we watched movies all afternoon. Stephanie did say she was going to order the speaking valve for him, so tomorrow speech therapy could be very interesting. They may not let me put the valve on for a few days, and he's not supposed to do it himself right now. But, he's had it before and I know how to do it. It just fits on the end of the trach and lets air in but not out. It lets him talk without damaging his vocal chords.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment