Saturday, June 13, 2020

Another week that seems like it just sped by. But, it was a decent week for the most part.

McKenna and I went to the cemetery Saturday morning. We did take a back road that will be much easier when there is a line of cars travelling together. It took about the same amount of time but lots less traffic. She approved of the cemetery and we both had a teary moment when we decided that "Pa" would like it there. Coming home I went even a different way and we ended up coming in through Jonesboro, which added another hour to the trip. But, we didn't have anything else to do. She and Logan were going to the races that evening, but we had plenty of time.

I think I got everything filled out for the VA paperwork. It's been sent back anyway. The only thing now is the one from the military, and I got it yesterday. It has to be witnessed, so I told Emily if they were coming in to town today to come by.

The cats came home Monday afternoon and I don't know if they were glad to see me, but I was sure glad to see them! They've settled in again now. They aren't sleeping in the bed with me. Mouse did for the first night and then he decided he wanted to sleep on the bedside commode! He even managed to pull a blanket from the stack next to it to lay on. They are also doing some strange things, like lay next to each other! They never did that before but they've done it a couple of times now, and both will even get in my lap together which is another first.

I still don't have my door. I called Lowe's yesterday since it had been 10 days and when they looked at the contract, the door itself hadn't been added to the contract! So, after checking with two different supervisors, they are voided that contract and refunding that money, all but what I paid for some extra stuff, and then this morning I'm going in and redoing the contract. He said he will have everything pulled and set aside for the installer and he was going to beg to get the earliest install date. So, maybe by this time next week I will have a door, and the siding can be finished and the dumpster can go away.

Not that I've been in seclusion, but I did see some people this week outside of family. My best friend from work and I video chatted for more than an hour Sunday morning. She's the one who invited me to the sleep-over earlier that I just wasn't ready for. Then, later in the week another former co-worker stopped by. She was in the area and saw my car in the driveway. We had a good visit and for the entire 2 hours, not 1 tear was shed. Then I ran into another former co-worker in Walmart. There were a couple of tears that time, but not many. So, it's getting easier to see people.

I realized one morning this week that I have a lot of time on my hands early in the morning now. And it comes from not updating this every day. My routine had been to check email, update this and, if there was time scroll through Facebook. Then, dressed and out the door. Now, it seems strange not to do this every day. Just more of the new normal. And speaking of the new normal, I saw an ad for a book on Facebook on dealing with the new normal from His Heart ministries, I think. Anyway, the comments on it were terrible! People saying they refused to live the "new normal" and if others didn't like it too bad. Comment after comment after comment like that. So, I finally couldn't help myself and asked if they thought that there were all kinds of new normals and that mine started 3 weeks ago when Bill died. Would I like it to go back to the way it was before? Of course I would, but it's not going to happen, so I'm forced to live a new normal. The only response I got was a condolence post from the ministry, but maybe it made some people stop and think. A new normal due to the pandemic is just an inconvenience for a while. A new normal for someone who has lost a family member of any relationship is lasting. But, I don't need to tell y'all that!

I've been working on the memorial service some this week still. I've narrowed down the dates and I've decided that if people can't come, that will be a decision they have to make. The only one I'm really concerned about is Bill's sister and her husband. They will have to fly from Florida and they are still a little apprehensive about that which is understandable. But, they don't have anyone who could drive them. But, they've said they just hope they can be here for it. So, in the next few days I will nail down the dates for sure and then let everyone know. I say dates because it's going to have to be broken into 2 days. The burial itself will be just for family and since it takes 3 hours round trip driving, plus the 30 minutes we are allotted for the service, that's already a long day. So the public memorial service will be the next day.

That's about it. We had some lovely wind from the tropical storm and not much rain. I spent a lot of time sitting outside. But, now that it has passed it's hot and still and getting muggier every day. Summer in the south is arriving!

No comments:

Post a Comment