Saturday, June 20, 2020

The first month is in the books, and all in all it hasn't been that bad. Yes, I got used to living alone while Bill was in the hospital for so long, which made it easier. And, yes there are still days when the tears come, but I expect that will also get easier yet never go away. And it's little things that bring them. Bill's oldest daughter told me she got her daughter a new dress for the funeral that's soft and cuddly and Petra asked her if she thought that Grandpa would like it and give her a big hug in it. They haven't told the kids yet, they're waiting until they come for the memorial service. But, it's little things like that .

I FINALLY found Bill's ribbons! They were in a small box at the bottom of a bigger box full of useless computer components and cables! His name tags, metal stripes, other insignia and his dog tags all together. I KNEW they were there, but he had moved them from where I had seen them before in the room. Who knows what he was thinking! Anyway, I made a trip to Hobby Lobby and got a shadow box and a couple of display stands and I have an idea for a display for the memorial service since we won't have his ashes or a body. When it's put together I'll post a picture, but I think it's going to work nicely.

All of the paperwork has been done and sent off, including the ones for the Veteran's Cemetery. I still have heard absolutely nothing from them. Everything was faxed, all 14 pages this past week. They wanted a copy of every DD214 Bill had. That's the form you get when you separate from the service. He had one from the Marine Corps that was barely legible, then the Air Force, then the Air National Guard, and then the Air Force again. Luckily Bill had all of those...and I knew where they were and they were where they were supposed to be! Emily told me if we don't hear anything from them soon, she will get our state senator involved. He's a veteran and fights for veterans and can get things done.

The insurance money has come and I now know how much my Social Security will be. In addition to my regular check, I will also get the Widow's Benefit. I thought I was only going to get whichever was larger, but according to the letter I got, and the deposits in my account, I will get both. I still don't know what the VA benefit will be and I'm waiting for Bill's final SS deposit and the pro-rated military retirement. I haven't been notified that the investment accounts have been switched to my name, but since I'm not doing anything with those it's OK. The insurance company did send a check refunding the last premium that was taken out of his military retirement, but they made it out to Bill. So I had to see what to do about that. I had to send it back and they will re-issue it in my name. I do still have some things to cancel or change to my name, but nothing pressing.

I STILL don't have the door! Well, I have the door but it's sitting in the apartment. After getting the new contract signed and more money paid, they called late Saturday evening with the install date....August 17th! I told them that was unacceptable since that part of the house is wrapped in plastic. The siding can't be finished until the door is hung. So, Monday morning I headed back to Lowe's and cancelled the install part of the contract, which they did with no argument at all, and then Emily, Bryan and I picked up the components Monday evening when Bryan got off work. They have a friend that is hoping to get it installed this coming week. He is a contractor so he knows how to do it and then the siding can be finished! But, since all of this I have seen posted on Facebook several complaints about Lowe's. One friend ordered a cooktop in April and still hasn't gotten it delivered. Another one ordered some things that showed in stock in her store and 2 days later she finally gets the email they were ready to be picked up, but 1 item was out of stock. She cancelled that order, ordered the same items from Home Depot and 2 hours later was on her way to the store.

Anyway, Bill's sister and her husband have decided not to try to come for the services. His health is not good and they would have to fly and they just aren't comfortable doing that right now. I totally understand and told Shirley that I knew what she was dealing with. So, last night I ordered a new video camera and we are going to record the services for them, and my mother if she wants to see it. We already have a tripod so I just need to recruit someone there to monitor it.

I've also designed the memorial program, purchased the guest book and bought a new cat tree. They both wanted to be on the top shelf of the old one, so I got a super duper one that has 3 high shelves and 3 hidey holes. It's 72" tall and goes to the top of the picture window. I was pretty proud of myself for getting it put halfway together...until I put the wrong numbered post in one place and then couldn't get it off! So, I called Mistie and Joe and Joe had it finished in 30 minutes, after I had worked on it for 2 hours. But the instructions were easy to follow, my hands just don't have enough strength in them. I was surprised he didn't have to go back and tighten all of the screws I had done! And, they love it! They are both sleeping on it now. But, my hands are so sore I can hardly type and my entire body aches from moving the boxes around (Fedex did set them inside the house for me) and lugging 22 pounds of cat food to the kitchen. But, the Aleve will kick in before long...I hope.

I've spent many hours on the phone this week with my sister. That's not something new, but what is new is 2-3 times a day. That wouldn't sound odd if we lived in the same area, but she's in Illinois! We've been talking about the lunacy going on with changing the names of products and all of that. The last one that I saw was that it's no longer acceptable to say "Master Bath" or Master Bedroom" when selling a house! So that got us on to what are they going to do about the "Masters" golf tournament and what is a "Master Craftsman" now going to be called. What is next?

So, there you have my week. It's gotten hot and dry now, although we have rain coming this coming week. The leaves on one of my trees are turning brown and it's not the only one on the block, so the rain will be welcome. Summer has definitely arrived (and it will be official this evening). Have a good week!

I almost forgot! Melvin Franklin Wagner IV made his appearance on the 17th! If that isn't a presidential name! Mom and baby are doing fine and he is a definite keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment