Thursday, October 1, 2020

 I had planned on a short update, but this was not the one I planned.

Today was bill paying day and as usual on the first of the month I checked to see if I had gotten a VA benefit payment. And as usual, there was nothing from them. For some reason I decided to look at my VA account to see if I could find out why it was taking so long. So, I logged in and saw that I had two letters. Now it said that I had been sent these letters, but I had not gotten them, nor had I gotten an email that I had the letters.

The first letter just said that I was eligible for veteran preference when applying for a job. I'm not planning on applying for any, but good to know. The 2nd one said that I was not eligible for benefits because Bill was not a 100% disabled veteran! What! Wait a minute, yes he was, from March 2008! So, after I centered myself and paid the bills, I called the VA. 

I got a very nice woman who said that it showed where I had gotten the accrued benefit that was due Bill and that I had gotten the burial allowance, but it didn't show that any claim for benefits was filed, or at least, in the system! I told her that I had filed them in June and I wouldn't have gotten the Presidential Citation if I hadn't filed anything because that paperwork was included in the packet of forms. She told me that I could refile because she could tell from looking at his record that he was indeed 100% disabled, and she emailed me some new forms.

Now, these forms are very confusing to begin with and I didn't relish having to pull all of the records again. BUT, as I was venting to my sister, I thought to see if I had scanned them into my computer and sure enough there was a VA file. I decided to fill out the new forms and mark them "Second Submission" and also send in the original forms marked "Original". I also wrote a letter with it detailing everything. Don't worry, Mom, I didn't say what I really wanted to say, I was nice!

I saw that the email had come from the Benefit Processing Office in Wisconsin, which could explain the fiasco. The forms say on them to send them to the nearest Regional VA center. That is in Little Rock, and when Bill was applying for his benefits, he had to file them 4 times, certified mail each time. They would tell him they hadn't received them and to send them to so and so's attention. I remember him telling them that the signature on the return card was that very person! So, I figured it was just the incompetence of that office. I called the VA back and I was told to either mail it to the office in Wisconsin, or fax it to the number on the letter. So, tomorrow morning, my daughter is going to fax 20 pages, not including a cover page, for me!

The original forms were dated June 5, and most people probably wouldn't have let it go this long, but I know how slow the government can be. It took nearly 3 months to get the final payment for his military retirement, so I hadn't been too concerned until I saw that letter. 

I'm taking my car in tomorrow for new tires and an oil change. I know I put 30,000 miles on them driving back and forth to Memphis and they had checked them with an oil change. They said there was still good tread, but a couple of them had been plugged, so I figured it was time to do it, before winter came. Emily is going to meet me before she goes to work and bring me home. I hope it will be ready when she goes to lunch to come and get me to pick it up. 

I also have a roofer coming tomorrow. My room tear-off project still has not been completed. It was decided that the roof needed to be done before the siding went back on. So, he's coming tomorrow to see if I just need to repair that area or replace it completely. I will be glad to get it done. I was going to see if he would build a covering over the open area, but I think now I'm just going to get an awning to put up.

I did get the replacement presidential citation since the post office bent the other one. It is very nice.


I also received this EOB from Medicare recently. Luckily Tricare will pick this up.


The cats have both been under the weather and had to get shots last week. One of the carriers broke when I was getting ready to take them to the vet, so had to do it one at a time. They aren't itching like they were, but Mouse has been sneezing most of the week and Cat started sneezing this evening.

That's about it. I've been doing fine for the most part, keeping busy when I want to and sitting and knitting or reading when I don't want to do anything. Our weather has gotten cooler now and it has been a little nippy in the mornings. It was 47 this morning and only in the low 70s for the high. Feels a lot better than the 90s!

I'll do my other post later since this one has gotten so long. Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment