Thursday, December 31, 2020

Here it is New Years Eve. I think everyone will be glad to put this year behind us, for many reasons. It has been a hard year for all of us, with the pandemic and all of the turmoil before and after the election. Of course, for those of us who have lost loved ones, no matter how they were lost, turning the page on the calendar will hopefully heal some wounds and hearts.

I read a disturbing statistic a couple of days ago that puts this pandemic into perspective, at least for me. For quite some time, the daily deaths have surpassed all of the deaths from Sept. 11 and Pearl Harbor. But this latest one was more startling. In December there have been more than 60,000 deaths, just in the United States, which is more than all of the US casualties in the Viet Nam Conflict. In an undeclared war that lasted years, we lost a little over 59,000 service men and women. And I'm not saying this to make their deaths any less meaningful. But, this number was over a period of years, and in less than 31 days, we surpassed that number from the virus. I know we are all getting tired of hearing about the virus, but until we realize that it is up to each of us, not the government, but us to do our part, these deaths will continue. I heard Dr. Threlkeld last night and he said that what we are doing as far as masking, cleanliness and social distancing, is also helping to keep the flu at bay. So, let's solve two problems at the same time and do what we can so that we can get back to a normal life. OK, that's my last public service announcement for the year.

Christmas was good. I had gotten the grandkids here each a necklace with Bill's thumbprint on it. The reverse side said "I love you, Pa Always in my heart" and each name. As soon as McKenna and Brianna opened the box they burst into tears, which in turn made me cry, and then when everyone was leaving, Emily and I had a little cry together. Kayden immediately put his necklace on and said it would only come off when he showered. Kiyann said she loved it, but she was already wearing 2 necklaces and didn't want to add another one.

I still don't feel really well and will probably be back at the dr. next week. I would go today but the office is closed. I don't feel bad enough to go to the ER which is the only option since we don't have a walk-in or urgent care clinic. But, I can tell things aren't right. I think it's probably still just the bronchitis/pneumonia that hasn't resolved, especially with the crazy weather we've had, 60s one day, 30s the next, and lots of wind and rain.

I said in the last post that I would try to find the Christmas pictures and I think I have, so I'll see if I can get them uploaded this time. I wish all of you health, happiness and love for 2021. As most people are saying, it's got to be better than 2020!





















No comments:

Post a Comment