Saturday, October 18, 2014

We made it through the week, although the end of it was tough, more for Bill than for me, but still tough.

Bill started his restricted diet for the colonoscopy Monday and it wasn't much different than the one we usually follow. I did let him splurge Wednesday night with a steak and baked potato, but both were on his approved list.

Thursday was "prep" day and after some scrambled eggs for breakfast, nothing but liquids. We left for Memphis in the afternoon and traffic was horrible. I decided to try the south leg of the bypass. Normally this would take about the same amount of time as the north leg, but not this time! We crossed the "old bridge" at 3:30, and we still hadn't made it to the hotel by 4! Not only was the traffic heavy, there was construction with cars trying to merge just driving up the shoulders where possible. We saw a little blue car just about drive up the back end of an 18-wheeler because they were in such a hurry they were cutting in and out of lanes at a pretty high speed. We finally go checked in and it was a good thing that I had brought me something to heat in the microwave because I sure didn't feel like going anywhere to eat.

I couldn't get it through Bill's head that he needed to really be drinking all day. I think he thought that because he couldn't eat that he wasn't supposed to drink either. When he started his prep kit, I didn't think he would get it down. For all of you who have had a colonoscopy, you know what I'm talking about! But he only had to drink a liter of the stuff, followed by a bottle of water. He only drank enough water to take his medicine. He was up about every hour through the night, which meant that I was awake every hour also. Friday morning's prep did not go well, he only got the 1st glass down and gagged on the 2nd one. I decided not to push it. He had said that everything that was coming out was just clear liquid so I knew he was empty. He drank enough water to take his pills and that was it.

I went down to breakfast and asked the desk clerk if we could check out at noon instead of 11 since his appointment wasn't until 1 and we were only 5 minutes away. She said it wouldn't be a problem and we could have a 1 checkout if we wanted, but noon was okay with me.

We did get checked in early at the dr. and he was called back to be prepped about 45 minutes early. I did get to go back to the holding area to answer some questions. Usually they don't let the "driver" come back until after the procedure, but since Bill can't remember as easily, he told them I could answer all the questions.

The procedure got started about 1:30 and I was brought back at 2 and he was awake, still a little groggy, but awake. The dr. came in and said the only thing he saw was a small polyp that is now gone. Nothing to worry about and he would see us in 5 years! We were on the road about 2 hours before I thought we would be. The clerk at the hotel had told me which would be the best route out of town, but since we were earlier than I thought we went the way I went the last time and it was not bad at all. Bill still wasn't hungry, just very uncomfortable from the gas. And he couldn't pass it! He cramped all the way home and into the night.

He feels fine this morning and we've already been out to breakfast since there are very few supplies here in the house. I must go grocery shopping for a few things anyway today!

When I was at breakfast yesterday, I noticed a big red and black bus parked in the back or the hotel. I didn't think too much about it, there were no markings on it that I could see. Thought it might have been a ball team of some kind. A man was checking in and I could tell from the conversation that he was registering for several people. A few minutes later a younger man came in for some coffee and I could tell that he had just woken up, so thought he was probably someone from the bus. I decided to load some things into the car while Bill was getting dressed and shaving and talked to the desk clerk again. She was very friendly and pleasant to everyone. Anyway, she was telling me that she had 69 check-ins for the day, but the one she was worried about, the group, was already done. Then she asked me if I liked country music. When I said I did, she said the group that had checked in while I was at breakfast was Diamond Rio, and they were on the same floor we were on! She said they're just normal folks and if I saw them in the hall just to say hi to them. She also said that if I wanted tickets to the concert just to let her know and she would get them for us! Unfortunately, we couldn't take her up on that.

So that's our week. But, with the good report for Bill, it was all worth it. I don't know if he would agree that it was worth it. I think if he had to go through the prep again sooner than 5 years he would refuse to do it. Maybe in 5 years time they will have a better way of doing it. At least he only had to try to drink 2 liters, broken into 2 days, than the gallon I had to drink when I had mine. I'm going to change drs. when it's time for my next one because the dr. I went to still does that prep!

Hope everyone has a good week ahead. Ours should be good, the weather is fantastic and is supposed to be all week.

1 comment:

  1. My hubby didn't have to drink liquid, they gave him pills. Since I'm sure Bill is used to taking pills, that might be less of an issue.

    ReplyDelete