Monday, November 17, 2014

We've made it home! We had a lovely visit with Bill's sister and her husband. The weather was pleasant, although Friday is was cloudy and cold and windy. But, the company was good, the food was good, and for the most part the weather.


Bill came down with some kind of little bug on Thursday. Didn't feel well and was having a "bathroom" problem. I think you can figure out what that was. We stayed in our room most of the day, only going out for some soup. I had some leftover take out for me to eat. He finally felt better that evening so we did go to his sister's. He also didn't feel well Friday, but not as bad as Thursday.


Saturday, travel day #, he felt really terrible. It was not a good day to be in a car. Not only did he not feel good, traffic from Tampa to Gainesville was nearly a parking lot at times. I had checked all of the pro football teams for the cities were passing through on Sunday, but I neglected to check colleges. And the Florida Gators were playing at home! There was a pretty bad accident that had traffic really backed up. My navigation system told me at 1 time that the delay was more than 2 hours. All of the cars with Gators tags, decals, flags, etc. were trying to maneuver in and out of traffic, which caused more back-ups. I was really glad to get past the Gainesville exits! After that, except for Bill feeling bad, and traffic remaining heavier than I thought it would, the trip was uneventful.


Bill finally ate some chicken and rice that night and was in bed by 8. My sister called to tell me that our mother was in the hospital and during that call, I started having the "bathroom" problem-out of the blue.


Yesterday, I started getting text messages before daylight to let me know that home was under a winter weather advisory until this morning. Since I had wanted to leave early anyway we were checked out of the hotel by 6 in the morning. Traffic was very light, even through Atlanta, but we both still didn't feel well, although Bill felt better than I. My medicine finally kicked in, along with some peppermint sticks from Cracker Barrel the night before, and by Birmingham we felt like eating. Shortly after getting back on the road it started raining, heavy rain. It stayed pretty steady and heavy until just before Corinth/Tupelo, MS. It still rained, but it was more of a heavy mist. It stayed that way until almost home. I kept watching the temperature drop the closer to home we got. We made it home at 2 and had the car unpacked and a pot of coffee going by 2:15! Of course the suitcases are still sitting where I put them when we came in and almost nothing has been put away!


I heated us a can of soup last night and we were in bed a little after 9. I got up a couple of times in the night and checked the weather. The snow was lovely coming down. It wasn't very windy so it wasn't blowing much, just drifting down. We got a little more than a dusting, just enough to cover the ground nicely in places.


We both seem to be feeling better this morning. We've had breakfast and medications and now I'm waiting for the sun to do its job and clear off my windshield so I can get us some groceries. It's not going to get above freezing for the next couple of days so I want to make some stew and crockpot lasagna. Of course we also need milk, butter, eggs, bread and who knows what else.


So, there you have it. Another check-up done, another family visit in the books, and now back to normal life. I've got to get on the stick and get some Christmas gifts ordered so they will be here before Christmas! And next week we're planning on going to Illinois for Thanksgiving. So much to do, so little time! Stay warm this week, it's gonna be cold just about everywhere!

1 comment: