Tuesday, December 2, 2014

We had a good visit with family and friends in Illinois for Thanksgiving. The trip was uneventful on the way to Illinois, with the exception of a trucker deciding that we wanted to share my lane. I think the sound of my tires hitting the warning strip on the shoulder woke him up a little. He had been weaving some before that, but always going to the right instead of the left. But, all is well, nothing and no-one hurt.


We were at my brother's for Thanksgiving and it's a good thing they have a big house, and not all of the family was there. But, in addition to 15 people, ranging from 2 to 83, there were 5 dogs...5 BIG dogs! All of them have very pleasant personalities, including my nephew's 2 pit bull mixes, but they wanted to play with each other and the people...in the kitchen! Bill didn't move much, in case of being knocked down.


It did snow most of the day Thanksgiving, but didn't start sticking until late afternoon, about the time to head back to Mom's! I wanted to leave in time to get there before dark, but that didn't happen. There were a couple of slick places, but the road crews were out. There was only a bare covering on the ground, but it was pretty to watch while it was happening.


Sunday Bill and I had breakfast with my best friend from high school and her husband. It was a very enjoyable meal, that would only have been better if we had all gotten our food at the same time! Cindy didn't get hers until we were almost finished eating, and it turned out that she got my meal and I got hers. There were some other friends from school there that I hadn't seen in years, but they were there before meeting with the funeral director to plan their mother's service, so I didn't visit with them.


We left earlier yesterday morning than we usually do because the weather report was calling for freezing rain. We did find some, not too far from Mom's. But, Illinois was on top of it. The roads were pretreated and the salt trucks were out in force. The trees were beautiful with the ice on them. I was really glad when the ice changed to just rain! We got home in the early afternoon, got the car unloaded, reported in that we arrived safely, got the bills paid and ordered pizza for dinner. And boy, did it feel good to sleep in my own bed last night!


Bill did pretty good on the trip. He does get overwhelmed around a lot of people which confuses him. He did do too much sitting, but with cold weather he could go out much and the house is small so there wasn't a lot of walking space. But, he did drink more water than he usually does, without me prompting him.


So, now time to concentrate on Christmas. We're supposed to have our family Christmas on the 20th, with 14 people coming, and I've bought only 1 gift! The tree is still in the attic with all of the other decorations. Kiyann, our 7 year old granddaughter, wants to help decorate the tree this year. She did 1 of their trees all by herself so wants to do more! But, if I don't get on the stick, there won't be any family Christmas this year...hmmm!


I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving however you celebrated.

1 comment:

  1. Glad the trip went well and that there were no mishaps on the road. Can't imagine being in the car as much as you guys are. I'm not much of a car person. If I could just "poof" myself somewhere, that would be more than half the battle.

    ReplyDelete