Saturday, September 26, 2015

Not much went on this week. I woke up with the "end of summer" head cold that is making its rounds. On top of that defoliation of the cotton has started. For you who don't know what defoliation is, when the bolls start forming on the cotton plant, the plants are then killed (defoliated) to make picking easier. They do this the same way they fertilize in the spring, by crop duster. We're told that it's not harmful to pets or humans, but for those of us with allergies, we can feel our throats closing with each pass of the plane.

Anyway, I've been quite miserable all week. I'm feeling much better now except for a nagging headache. I'm stuffier today, but it's rainy so that also doesn't help.

Luckily, Bill doesn't seem like he is going to be affected. He's done a little sneezing, but that's all. He's done quite well with walking this week, twice a day most days. I sent him off to the grocery store with a list and he did just fine. I think it helped him that I was not feeling well.

We don't have anything coming up in the next week. We do both need haircuts and Bill's been saying all week that he was going to get one and hasn't yet. I still need to get the oil changed and the tires rotated and a seat looked at. So, I guess we could have some things going on it we worked at it.

 Wow, that was strange! I saved this and then got up to swap the clothes in the wash and put the clean sheets on the bed. When I sat back down, probably only 10 minutes or so later, the computer was completely frozen. I actually had to unplug it and take the battery out to get it to shut off. When it powered back up, it didn't go to my homepage, it came straight back to the blog! I do see though that it may have updated. I'm going to have to check those settings. I don't like it updating during the day, only in the middle of the night when I'm not using it!

When I ordered Bill's meds this week I told the technician at Mayo Pharmacy (Dustin) what I needed and then said that should just leave calcium and aspirin and we were good on both, he commented that I was right and then said that I must have done the ordering before. I told him every month for 3 1/2 years and he just said wow. It is kind of hard to believe that it will be 3 1/2 years on November 3. It still feels like yesterday on some days and others it's hard to remember details. But, if I really need to know something, I can refer to this blog. I still remember how that surprised the doctors and nurses that I could find things rather quickly when they couldn't remember or find something easily in his records. I would encourage anyone dealing with an ongoing medical condition to take notes and then keep the notebook handy.

All for this week that had nothing happening! Happy Fall!

5 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I don't dare take Calcium, Mine was elevated after the floxing and that causes muscles to contract. I take Magnesium to get them to relax.

    I didn't take nearly enough notes and memories have already started to fade. I think Michael's memory is even worse than mine, if that's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of his meds cause bone loss. He's also been put on Fosomax to help with that. I started taking really good notes with heart attack #4. It just made it easier to relay information to family who didn't live close. That's also why I started this blog, to do 1 update instead of a mass email. Made it a whole lot easier. And of course, Bill can't remember anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he's Calcium without adequate measures of magnesium, that's dangerous. The osteoporosis drug Fosamax is linked to degenerative bone damage, fractures, eye disorders, cancer and heart problems.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Beth. I just got an LVAD two months ago and have been looking at what other people went through with one. I'm too old to get a transplant, so mine is a "destination therapy." I'll have it for the rest of my life. I've started a blog about my experiences. You can visit it at www.lvadlife.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Beth. I just got an LVAD two months ago and have been looking at what other people went through with one. I'm too old to get a transplant, so mine is a "destination therapy." I'll have it for the rest of my life. I've started a blog about my experiences. You can visit it at www.lvadlife.com.

    ReplyDelete