Saturday, September 2, 2017

Another week in the books!


I forgot to fill you in on Bill's burn last week. He dropped a plate of spaghetti and it landed on his calf and foot. He just kind of sat and looked at me and McKenna jumped into action! She pulled his shoes and socks off but it had already burned through his sock at his ankle. While he went in to change she even helped me clean up the floor and get him another plate. The burn spray I have, which is the best stuff in the world that can't be found anywhere, is almost empty and it didn't do anything to help. I looked through every medicine bin in the bathroom but couldn't find anything for burns. I finally thought to look in the first aid kit in the car and there was 1 little packet of burn gel. So, I used that and then covered it with a big bandaid. It is healing and doesn't hurt anymore, but it looked nasty that night. So, that catches you up with what I forgot last week.

The week was mostly quiet. Kenna is doing well in school and I hardly need to do anything at all.

We got some rain from the hurricane but that is all gone now. The weather is supposed to be much cooler the next 2 weeks so maybe we can turn the air off.

Yesterday McKenna had a school fun day at Barnes and Noble in Jonesboro. She didn't really want to go, but I insisted. Brianna also needed to go to Jonesboro so she went with us. We had a nice time. Went to Hobby Lobby for them to get some craft things. McKenna likes to do the easy cross-stitch things and Bri got some big yarn to crochet something. Ate at Chick-fi-let and then went to the mall. Kenna was a little stand-offish to start with but she did participate and actually won the first game. There was another 8th grader there and they finally started talking together and spent the rest of the time together. She even told me to just go away! We all got some books, although Kenna thought that making a friend should let her off the hook on a book. She doesn't like reading, but that is more due to her mild dyslexia. But she got a Sudoku book and a family tree book. She worked on that all the way home. That can also be counted as supplemental education so she got some hours in, including the outing hours.

I had told Bill that all we had for lunch was peanut butter. That is easier for him to fix a sandwich. When I got home he told me that he had eaten some pasta in the refrigerator. I looked and he had eaten 3 week old lasagna that should have been thrown out long ago. Luckily he didn't have any ill effects from it!

His memory has gotten much worse it seems, which makes me reluctant even more to leave him alone for any length of time. But, he won't hear of having someone come in to stay with him if I have to leave for several hours. Makes it harder on me to get some free time and not worry about him.

He's also still coughing more again and choking more on liquids. He had the swallowing problem after he had the trach and it took quite a while before he was able to have liquids without needing them thickened. But it may come back to that. I don't know if it's because he doesn't sit up straight much or it he's just forgetting to swallow, which really concerns me. I mentioned it to him about thickening his coffee if it continued, and reminded him that that is probably what caused his pneumonia.

Our grandson got married yesterday in Oklahoma. Bill made the decision that we wouldn't go back in July. We didn't hear anything from his mother so don't know if she is upset or not. We have another grandson getting married in October in South Carolina and he's already said we are not going. He knows that being in crowds and out of his comfort is very hard on him. The kids (his) will just have to understand that now is the time to visit him if they want to see him. They always have excuses, working or children or distance, but circumstances change. He has decided that the trips to Mayo and on down to his sister's once a year while we are in Florida, or a shorter trip to Illinois are the only trips we will do and they will just have to understand. I haven't declined the invitation yet, but have a couple of weeks yet.

I think that is everything that happened this week. Our anniversary is tomorrow. I don't know what we are going to do, if anything. I'll let you know next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment