Saturday, April 21, 2018

I don't know what I'm going to do with Bill! All he does is walk from the bedroom to the bathroom to the couch. And, unless he has to use the bathroom, he doesn't move all day. If I'm up and moving around he'll ask me to get him something from the kitchen, and then, especially in the evening, when he's getting ready for bed, he's so short winded that he has to use his rescue inhaler and just sit and breathe before he can do anything. I know that he will just MOVE, that will all get better. He won't even take his dirty dishes from breakfast to the kitchen, just sits them on the end table next to him. 

Although I think it was just allergies earlier in the week, I was beginning to think that Bill was starting to relapse again. since he wasn't breathing well when walking and coughing more, but when I suggested that he may need to have labs drawn again, he flat told me he wasn't going to the dr. So, I've just monitored all of his vitals and they've been good, although I've gotten a couple of super low blood pressure readings, but took it again and got better ones. I guess we'll just see what the Mayo labs show.

I made him a schedule this week and, without him really knowing I did it, I got him to do a little more moving around. We've gotten into a rut that we eat in front of the television all the time. I decided that we're going to start eating at the table. He told me that he had been thinking the same thing, but when I set the table Thursday night, he said he didn't think we were going to start that soon! Except for me eating my breakfast there yesterday morning, that lasted 1 day. He did fix his own cereal yesterday morning, but the bowl sat next to him until I carried it to the kitchen at some point in the afternoon.

That's the emotional side of me talking. The intellectual side knows that COPD and emphysema are horrible diseases with no cure (Bill also talks about when he gets "over this" and feels better again the things he will do) and it is hard for him to breathe and do things. But, the "inquiring mind" side of me has read as much as possible about living with them and everything points to moving as the best thing that can be done. It's just getting him to do it! He's still talking a good game of using his treadmill and driving his car, but the car hasn't moved for a year and he doesn't have the energy to walk to the apartment to use the treadmill. We have a young man coming to do some work this week-end and I may see it we can get it moved into the house so maybe it will get some use and it will help him.

I know that some of this is also my doing, it's easier for me to just do things and wait on him than to let him do it. But, it seems like now I've having to tell him when he's worn the same clothes for 3-4 days in a row and that it's been a week since he's shaved. He was always one to be clean shaven and neatly dressed and now some days he looks like a bum...but he's my bum. So, the campaign to get him to move more will kick into higher gear this week, or he won't be able to walk 10 steps at Mayo. And they won't be happy about that.

I have my cardiologist consult finally. I put in an online request last week-end and got a phone call Monday. We did the preliminary paperwork over the phone and the scheduler was surprised that there was an opening on May 14. She didn't tell me to dress comfortably or have a driver with me, so I think this is just a consult. I would imagine she will want to go ahead and do an EKG and maybe a chest x-ray with some bloodwork. Bill said he would just stay home and not go, which surprised me, but that would mean that someone else would have to go to sit with him if there is any testing done. So, something else to think about. The appointment isn't until the afternoon, so as long as he's covered for lunch he should be OK. Emily suggested I ask my friend Phillis to go with me just to have some other ears, and it would give her a break from her husband who is starting to show some signs of dementia, but I think I would just enjoy the alone time. We've got a little time yet to decide.

Our excitement for the week, since last week had storms and tornadoes, was an earthquake! It wasn't very big, 1.9, but it was centered only about a mile away at the entrance to the golf course. There was a big boom and the house shook like something hit it, or a big piece of equipment was being unloaded, or a tree trunk hitting the ground, but, there was nothing. Joe and I were both looking all around outside when it was finally put on Facebook that it was a quake. I don't think there have been any aftershocks . This is the first one we've had in quite a while.

I have noticed that my little "happy" pill needs to be taken on a pretty tight schedule. I feel much better, more relaxed when I take it first thing in the morning. I've also been taking it with my night meds to help me sleep better, and it has done that, but I've noticed that I'm getting short-tempered in the evenings. So, it may be one that needs to be taken on a 12 hour schedule and not just twice a day.

I started taking some vitamin B12 this week. I don't know that it's had any effect yet. Thursday I had lots of energy and felt good all day. I washed all of the throws and had them out of the dryer and folded and back on the couch by 6:30. I also dusted, swiffered all of the hardwoods and vacuumed before Bill was even out of bed, and was finished with that by 9. That energy was all gone yesterday and I woke up tired again. But...another weather change is here. Went from 80 on Thursday to 60 yesterday. I haven't looked to see what it's supposed to be today.

This coming week will be for getting ready for our trip. It has always seemed like this one was so far in the future I didn't need to be doing anything to get ready and now it's here! So, I'll be busy this week with that.

All I can think of for now. Sorry this isn't more upbeat and boring, but such is life. It is what it is. See you next Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment