Friday, August 24, 2018

I got quite the surprise this morning when I walked into Bill's room and he was sitting in his recliner! Physical Therapy had come before I got there and moved the chair to the other side of the bed closer to his IV pole. They also have a short tube for the oxygen. It makes it easier on him to be over there, but it's hard to talk to each other across the room.

He had eaten most of his breakfast and ate all of his lunch and supper! He looked so much better and he said he felt better. The one concern that I had is that he didn't use his urinal for the entire 8 hours I was there, and he was drinking constantly. Hopefully he used it after I left.

The infectious disease doctor said that one of the cultures has grown something that resembles e coli more than a rod bacteria, which was surprising to him. He has started an antibiotic and said he was considering a second one, but changed his mind. It seems like. he's pleased with his progress. He said that Bill would be in hospital at least through the week-end.

When Dr. Williams, the pulmonologist came in he said that Bill's lungs were full of junk, even though the same procedure was done a little over a month ago. He said he looked and sounded much better, but he will be there for at least another week. I told him that I didn't want to take him home if he couldn't walk across the room without being short of breath. Right now he's on high flow humidified oxygen but I think that will stop once he can keep his sats up again. They still keep fluctuating.

Physical therapy has been ordered and I asked about cardiac rehab and they agreed that it would be beneficial and our nurse ordered it right then. I also asked her why his inhalers hadn't been given to him and they weren't in the computer so they were starting them tonight. They don't have one of them (the one that's easiest for him to use) but there was another one they were ordering.

They were going to let him walk in the hall tonight, but they didn't have any tubing long enough so they were going to try to get one from respiratory therapy. They were still waiting when I came home for the evening. Hopefully they got it and he got to move a little. I may throw in one of ours tomorrow just in case.

So, things are looking up today. I'm sure we will have some more set-backs, but I don't think they will be as scary and tough as they were yesterday. I don't think I'm taking my laptop tomorrow because the internet is so spotty but I will definitely update when I get home if I don't take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment