Bill has pneumonia again. His cough worsened over the week-end and I got him to the Dr. on Tuesday morning. The only reason I didn't take him Monday was because it was pouring rain and I didn't want to get him out in it. Tuesday was supposed to be a better day, but it was still rainy and cold.
We've had home health here every day since Wednesday to give him a Rocephin shot. The nurse decided that since it was only for 4 days, I didn't need to learn how to give the shot. He's coming again tomorrow for the last one and then he's going to check once a week to just see how he's doing.
Our nurse practitioner sent her nurse to the house this morning to draw labs so that Bill wouldn't have to get around all the sick people at the office. She had said that if his white count wasn't down by today, we would be going back to the hospital in Memphis, but his count was down from 13,000 to 11,000. She we have avoided the hospital so far. She does want to see him Monday morning for more labs and an xray.
Bill felt pretty good yesterday, but this morning he started coughing about 3 and coughed very hard. I finally got him to spit out what he was coughing up and it looked really nasty. It was hard to tell if the cough was a good thing (the pneumonia pocket breaking up) or if it was a bad thing (area getting bigger). But it's apparently good. I have some really good cough medicine that Connie said to give him. I'm going to give him some at bedtime since it will make him sleep. And, if he starts coughing again in the night he can have more.
We got some terrible news this morning. Bill's sister called a little after 7 and said that her youngest daughter Kim passed away this morning. She was a very troubled young woman (I don't think she was 40 yet) and had had a drug problem in the past. I think the cause of death will be a drug overdose, but whether illegal or prescription I don't know. I've only talked to them this morning. Bill thought they have probably been overwhelmed with people today and the need to make arrangements. He has decided that we will not go for the funeral, he's just not up to it. He made the decision himself, I just asked if he wanted to go. I think that is the right decision, especially in light of this illness. Hopefully they will understand.
I did learn something this week. If you remember, it's been an uphill battle to get him to drink enough. Well...I've started buying the small bottles of water and he is drinking 3-4 a day of those. That works out to 1 1/2-2 of the bigger ones. He's slowed down on his coffee and switched to water. If only I had known that the smaller bottles would work!
So, that's been our week, more stress on my part wondering if I should be packing a bag for Memphis. But it seems like we've dodged that bullet. And, knock on wood, Bill hasn't fallen any this week. See you next week...and the month of March will then be over!