Sunday, December 27, 2015

Another long day. Bill did not have a good night. Of course you never have a good night in a hospital. He got a breathing treatment every 4 hours, plus IVs hung and labs drawn. He still felt horrible after I got there at 7 to give him his meds.

He didn't want breakfast and dozed off and on all morning, but they were still in and out. We kept the room dark and quiet so that he could rest. The dr. came in right before lunch, just as he was starting another breathing treatment. He said that the pneumonia was only in the right lung and wasn't a very big area. His labwork had already improved so he was hopeful that in the next day or 2 he could go home. He was going to try to eat lunch when it came but when he sat up he threw up. It was all clear phlegm but that wore him out. He was able to sleep for quite a while after that...until the next breathing treatment that came right before supper. Before they even got the tray in he threw up. This time it was green and nasty looking. He got a shot of phenergan and they changed him to a liquid diet. He ate his jello and Italian ice but not the broth. Within and hour and a half his stomach was bloated and he said it was really cramping. By 7 he was again throwing up. His night nurse is the same one as last night and he's wonderful. He said that he was holding all fluids, even water. He gave him another push of phenergan and told him to just rest. He was also going to get him some cough medicine to give his body a break from all the coughing. The breathing treatments have been discontinued and I don't know what the treatment will be now.

I did find out this morning that they didn't get all of his meds ordered so I need to add another one to his anti-rejection ones. The one they didn't order is the antibiotic for the heart mismatch. I'm to bring it tomorrow, but I think I'm going to wait until I talk to Stephanie before I give it to him. It may interfere with the other antibiotics. Something else to ask her. Marty told me tonight that they are also giving him heparin and I'm not sure why. I'll have to find out tomorrow. It may have another use other than a blood thinner that I don't know about (like I know so much anyway).

I'm not quite as tired tonight as I was last night, but it wasn't an emergency day like yesterday was. That's not to say I'm not tired because I am. Our friend Ron told me that he will bring me breakfast in the morning. He also said he'd bring something for Bill but Bill told him no. But, he was working on the 3rd time around when Ron was there so food didn't sound good. It may be a different story in the morning, and if I know Ron, he'll have something for him just in case.

I've restricted all visitors except family (and Ron). Bill thinks he needs to be "up" if someone is there. Today I even met Emily and Ryan at the front door of the hospital when they came. So far everyone as understood and is staying away.

It was 72 when I left the house at 6:45 this morning. At noon it was 50 with a brisk wind. It's 48 now and is supposed to be colder through the night, with severe thunderstorms. It was raining pretty hard while I was walking to the car. I don't hear any rain now, but there was some thunder a few minutes ago. There has been a lot of flooding in the area, and tomorrow is the day we're supposed to get the bulk of the rain. We have a wind advisory tonight and a flash flood watch for most of the week. I'll be lucky not to get sick!

All for the night. I'll update again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Sure hope this turns around for him soon. Be careful in the nasty weather.

    ReplyDelete