Monday, December 28, 2015

Bill has turned a corner!!! He was still throwing up when I walked in the door this morning they again took away everything. His mouth was so dry that he was practically begging for water, so after an hour we gave him a little and he kept it down and then had some more with his meds. 

He walked to the bathroom about lunchtime and back and didn't get nearly as winded as he had before. He said that his lunch didn't even smell good, even though I thought the pork chop looked pretty good! He did eat some of the applesauce he had though. The dr. came in then and suggested that the throwing up was not due to the breathing treatments but his gall bladder. Now, I have had gall bladder disease and you just don't throw up a little bit. You are in extreme pain. He then said that since he was already in the hospital they may as well do some tests! So, he said they would schedule that and there would be a consult with Yale University and walked out the door! Oh my, that sent him into a tizzy! I finally got him calmed down and told him they were not going to cut on him. I did some research with Yale and our hospital and the surgeon attended Yale medical school. So the other dr. was just trying to impress us...it was time to play the Mayo Clinic card! Of course any surgery would have to be done at a transplant center and not the local hospital.

He finally ate some cereal this afternoon. The surgeon came in and agreed that any surgery, if there was any, could not be done there. He checked his belly and doesn't think his gall bladder is involved, but said to have the ultrasound to be sure. He's a cardiovascular surgeon so he was very interested to hear about the transplant and the LVAD implant. Bill was much better by then.

When his dinner came he ate most of his baked fish, some of the broccoli (which looked revolting), but I don't think he ate any of his rice. He said the broccoli was tasteless and I told him it was just cooked to death! He saved his grapes for a snack. After dinner he wanted to get out of bed and sit in his chair, but his oxygen tubing wasn't long enough. That was an easy fix and while he was in the chair they changed his bedding. He again went to the bathroom and back. He stayed up until it was time for his meds and then he got back into bed.

I talked to Kim at Mayo today. She was covering for Stephanie. She then talked to his nurse. She seemed satisfied with the antibiotics he was getting and answered the questions I had about his other meds. She told me just to let her know when he was discharged so that she could order his records, but maybe she set that up when she was talking to Autumn.

There was a huge difference between the week-end staff care and today's care, as far as the day nurses are concerned. Since he had the same night nurse both nights he was cared for. I don't know who his nurse will be tonight. I came home before the nurse came in. But, it was much better care today.

So, that's it for tonight. My pizza is done, I've talked to my mother and updated her, so I'm going to eat, unwind and then go to bed to do it all over again in the morning. Keep the good thoughts and prayers coming, they're working!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear he is feeling better and I have my fingers crossed they aren't giving him fluoroquinolones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are giving him IV Rocephin and Primaxin. They gave him Phenergan and Zofran for the nausea. That's it except for the normal maintenance meds and the immunosuppressants that I'm giving him.

    ReplyDelete