Thursday, September 13, 2018

It has taken me an hour to get my computer up and running. I don't know just what the problem is, but it seems like it wants to stay in an endless loop of something.

We finally saw the drs. yesterday. They sucked a bunch of junk out of his lungs again and this time they could tell the infection. There was a lot of pus. One young dr. explained that it was just a waiting game, waiting for the culture to grow and then testing different antibiotics to see which one killed it. He's still coughing a lot and his lower back muscles are very sore.

Dr. Threlkeld said that they too are waiting to see what the cultures show but is still treating with the same antibiotic as before. He said maybe he just needed to be on it longer than he thought. Emily had wanted to know if the recurrence could be because of his nose either draining so much or staying so congested and he thought that was a great possibility. So today while I was gone, they did a CT of his sinuses and it showed chronic sinusitis and they were all full. So we are probably going to have an ENT consult. He's feeling better and getting a little cranky again. I threatened to go home with Emily if he didn't straighten up and all of a sudden the evil Bill was gone and the good Bill had returned.

When Caleb, his aide today got him to the bathroom he got him a basin of water and had him bathe as much of himself as he could while he made up his bed and then brought me some bedding. He then showed me where the nutrition room was with coffee and a fridge with juice that we could use any time.

Bill really wants to come home, but his sats are still dropping when he stands up, although today they didn't drop as low. He had gotten into a little distress yesterday from all the coughing and he hasn't done that today.

My procedure was a success! He was able to dilate the bottom of my esophagus to normal size and he told Emily that the cartilage was breaking apart while he was doing it, so he doesn't think it will grow back. But, he said if it does, we'll just repeat the procedure. My throat is a little sore and I'm on soft foods for today but can eat anything I want tomorrow. I'm still really tired and took a good little nap this afternoon. I also have a lingering headache which is probably a combination of bad sleep, the anesthesia, and being under caffeinated. It started hurting before the procedure so I know it was no caffeine, but it has stayed around all day. I've taken all the Tylenol I had with me and I'm sipping on a watered down diet coke. I'll make up my bed before long and get some sleep.

I told Bill I will probably leave pretty early tomorrow to replenish my cash account and get some good sleep at home. They said today that if I were to try to drive today and get stopped I would be considered legally drunk. I could have gone home with Emily if I had wanted and someone would have brought me back tomorrow to get my car, but I think I'll be fine here. I also think Bill will like it that I'm staying.

We've had some bad news today. A woman who was in my sister's class at school passed away from breast cancer, a dear friend has been diagnosed with lung cancer and is having the lower lobe of his lung removed tomorrow, and one of the kids cousins has a cancerous brain tumor that has come back and Emily just told me that he is deteriorating rapidly and is being admitted to the hospital hoping they can get him stabilized to start his treatment.

There you have it, you're all caught up. Hopefully this machine will let me post this. It's still acting very strange. I'll update again tomorrow, but since it's so hard to do it at the hospital, it may wait until I get home. Goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment