Wednesday, April 18, 2012

We have had an interesting couple of days. When we went to the support group meeting yesterday our social worker asked if I would be willing to talk to another VAD caregiver who is having a hard time dealing with everything. Of course I said I would so she was going to give them our contact information today. Haven't heard anything yet but this person, I don't know if it is male or female, may have a hard time asking for help. There were several new people at the group and one woman was a wife whose husband is too sick for a transplant and is having the VAD implanted tomorrow. She made the comment that they were both terrified so we talked to her for quite a while after the meeting and then spent about an hour with them today answering questions. They are also not local to Jacksonville and had lots of questions about shopping and things. I'm going to spend some time with her tomorrow during the surgery. I know how scary being alone at that time can be!

Bill had a good report again from the team. He has a little rash near his drive line that has concerned me for a few days. Both Lorraine and Ginny looked at it and they think that it is more a heat rash than anything. The supply company also sent us a new brand of drain sponges and I wondered if, even though those are sterile, it was something to do with that. We got a new order of supplies this afternoon and the sponges were the old brand so I used those when we did his dressing change today. We shall see tomorrow.

I've been reading lots of blogs related to LVADs and transplants and one thing that has been brought out is the fact that this illness and treatment doesn't just affect Bill. It also affects me and our children and other members of the family. Sadly, a lot of times well intentioned people ask how the patient is doing and how the kids are doing, but never ask the spouse how they are coping. That is where I have been so very fortunate. Through all of the comments here, on Facebook, the emails, texts and phone calls, never has anyone neglected to ask how I am. And, even though it's such a little thing, it makes all the difference in the world! So, to all of you who have asked and continue to ask, THANK YOU! And, tonight as you pray for me and Bill, please add John and Cindi to your prayers. They are just starting on this journey. They told us today that they are believers, so they have also put it in God's hands just as we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment