Monday, July 2, 2018

Posting later than the last couple of days, but I came to the hospital earlier this morning. I wanted to beat the worst of the traffic, and I thought I would get a better parking place. Well, I did beat most of the traffic, but not an ideal parking spot, although it really isn't that bad. Anyway, on to the update...

Bill continues to improve, although not as much as the pulmonologist and infectious disease doctors are wanting. As far as the hospitalist is concerned he can go home today, but the others, including cardiology, are saying not so fast. His white count yesterday had only gone down a little, from 17 to 16.4 (these are thousands). The hospitalist said that even though that is still rather high it can be attributed to the infection and steroids, it is still high compared to what it usually is. His usually stays around 9-11.

All of the tests and cultures they have done have come back negative. So, pulmonology and infectious disease are considering doing a bronchoscopy to remove some of the gunk in this lungs an see just what is growing. I don't know if they are planning on rinsing his lungs to clear it all out or just testing. The pulmonologist said that the emphysema will make this a little more difficult, and dangerous for him, but I think they are of the mind that since this is the 3rd hospitalization and 4th episode for him, something has to be done, or he'll just keep coming back. So, I wasn't surprised when it was suggested. 

He is still getting very winded when he moves and they had to increase his oxygen flow a little. They were going to increase it again this morning because his sat was only 90, but I told the nurse that's where it usually stays and the best way to get a good reading was to stick a thermometer in his mouth because then he has to breath through his nose. They also don't want to get his oxygen flow too high because that pushes all of the carbon dioxide from the COPD to the bottom of the lung which makes it harder for the lungs to inflate and use the oxygen.

He was evaluated yesterday by physical therapy and is going to have some therapy while he is here. It's mainly going to be a continuation of what he was doing at home. They may have him walk some in the room, but I'm not exactly sure what it will be. She just said that he would be put on the schedule.

I've got to spend the morning making some business phone calls concerning appointments and such. Life does go on and these aren't things that someone else could handle. So, my cell phone will get a work out today.

When I was sitting in the recliner here in the room Saturday I got a horrible cramp in my right foot that went all the way up the back of my leg to my knee. Not even trying to walk it out or flex it helped to stop it, just had to do it on its own. Well, I noticed when I got home yesterday that my right foot was swollen, but mainly just the foot and not the ankle so much. But, my calf still aches and there is a small bruise behind my knee. I don't remember if I hit my leg, which is entirely possible. My heart dr. has said to watch for swelling since that is a side effect of one of my blood pressure meds. My left foot had swollen while we were in Illinois for Gene's funeral and it went down by morning. I figured it was from all the driving the day before and then sitting in so many chairs where my legs were dangling. That could be all that this is too since I'm driving 3 hours a day and then sitting on uncomfortable furniture, but, it didn't go down all the way through the night. So, a phone call to Dr. Morrow's nurse is on the agenda for today.

I think you're caught up now. We haven't seen any drs. yet this morning. I know pulmonology said they usually try to round by noon, but that isn't always the case. That's one reason I wanted to come in early, to catch drs. They usually start earlier during the week unlike the week-ends. So, once again, when we know something, I'll get this updated again. Keep the prayers and good thoughts coming, they are definitely working!

No comments:

Post a Comment