Saturday, June 18, 2016

According to the calendar, it's not officially summer yet. Someone should tell Mother Nature! It's been oppressively hot all week. Our heat index Thursday was 111 and the actual temperature was 98. Guess who hasn't left the house much!

We've continued our closet cleaning this week, but haven't gotten as much done as I wanted. The weather, on top of farmers burning wheat fields, has played havoc with my allergies. Even though the humidity is up, we haven't had any measurable rain, so all the dust and smoke just hangs around. I woke up Thursday morning with a headache that lasted all day. I finally went to bed at 9 and slept nearly 10 hours. Felt fantastic yesterday and woke up with the headache again this morning. It's not as bad but I have no "oomph" to get anything done. 

Bill has walked just about every day this week. It's a good thing the little 30 year old air conditioner works in his lair. But, he said just walking to and from since he has to go outside just about does him in.

We didn't go to Red Lobster last week-end as planned. By the time came I was too tired to drive the hour to Jonesboro. But we did go out to a local restaurant that we hadn't been to for awhile so that was nice. We both brought home enough to have lunch the next day.

I've been notified that there is a map update available for the navigation system for my car but I'm having a horrible time trying to get it downloaded. The plug-in I need isn't compatible with the Firefox browser and since Windows 10 did away with Internet Explorer...so, I thought that I could use Bill's desktop since it still has either Windows XP or Vista, I can't remember which. But, the monitor won't come on. It keeps telling us that there isn't any signal and to check the video cable, but it's fine. Then I decided that since I hadn't upgraded his laptop, I could use it. But, he hadn't used it for a year so it had to charge overnight before I could boot it. I worked on it some yesterday and then decided that I was getting too impatient with it. So, I'm going to try to stay calm and do it today. I have the plug-in downloaded and the information downloaded from the car onto the thumb drive, so maybe it will go smoothly today. Who knows!

I don't know if I said anything about our lawn service killing our lawn this spring. They "treated" it to kill the weeds and it killed everything! They still came by and cut the little patches that were growing, but mostly we have dirt. The owner of the business came by the other day and I asked it we were ever going to have grass again. He said that now that it has gotten hot he'll be able to fertilize it and that next week, right before we would get a shower, he would come and fertilize and then the grass should take off. Well, they came yesterday afternoon and spread some white pellets all over, but left us no instructions on what to do with it. We also aren't forecast to have any rain all next week! So, I don't know if we need to water it or just leave it. This is the first time we have ever had any problems with this service, including all the time we were in Florida. They continued to mow each week and emailed our invoice so that we could pay online. But, this year has been different. This was also the first time they treated it for anything.

I need to find someone to come and do some "honey-dos". Our friend Ron was going to trim the hedges a month ago but if was raining the day he wanted to do it and we haven't seen him since, even for a visit with Buddy. So, there is probably 12" of new growth on top of a couple of them and they look horrible. We also need the gutters cleaned and some outside painting done. So, I'm looking for someone who won't charge us a mint, but will do a decent job. The man across the street has a young black man do his yard and he trimmed all of his hedges last week and they look really nice so I'm waiting for him to come back to ask how much he would charge.

I can't think of anything more from this week. It was just a basic normal week again. To all the fathers out there, Happy Father's Day tomorrow. I hope you all get pampered!

1 comment:

  1. Too hot to do anything outside here, too. I just can't do the heat anymore.

    After all the rain, our grass is growing like crazy! Sorry yours got ruined. My hubby would have a cow if that happened!

    ReplyDelete