Saturday, October 8, 2016

We have a cat! Well, we kind of have a cat. When my sister was here we went out the backdoor to sit on the patio and there was a tortoise shell cat sunning on the wood box. As we came out, she ran under the house and then sat there looking at us. The next day when we went out, she was "hunting" and we watched as she caught and devoured a lizard, completely! She's not skin and bones so she's been eating. My sister put out a left over piece of pizza and some parmesan bread bites that night and the next morning there was only crust left, and that was gone later in the day. I've been feeding it here and there and she's getting better at not running away, but we are not going to try to tame her. She can stay an outside cat that just gets fed and watered. She's had something wrong with her tail, whether she was in a fight, or it was diseased, but it has steadily falling off. Thursday night more had come off and I could see that the end was raw, but last night it was black, whether it was covered with fleas or dirt I couldn't tell. 

The cat was really the highlight of the week. Bill did do some walking this week, more than he had been doing. I'm starting to get a little concerned about his memory. He's always had trouble with word recall since the stroke, but now he's forgetting what things are. He asked what carrots were on the veggie tray the other night and I told him to take his pills and he picked up an inhaler and asked if that was what I meant. I'm going to say something to Stephanie when we go to Mayo. Before the transplant he was on Aricept and Namenda, even though the Dr. said that he didn't have any signs of Alzheimers or dementia. They were finding that using them enhanced the regular memory of older patients. Dr. Yip took him off of those after testing with Mayo psych also showed no signs, so I don't know if he will want him back on them. They may also interact with his transplant meds, so I don't know.

Harvest is going right along, but with that comes the dreaded field burning. This is the only place I've seen where the fields are burnt off after harvest. Not only does it affect people with breathing problems, but it affects driving by obscuring visibility. There was a fatality last year just shortly after we had driven through the same area. Farmers say they can't afford the extra fuel or wages it would take to plow the stubble under. There have been attempts to get the practice outlawed but nothing yet. They are supposed to have a tank of water at the site and be on-site themselves, but that usually doesn't happen. They are also not supposed to burn when the wind speed is above a certain mph, but that usually doesn't happen either. So, we're trying to stay in when we see smoke in the area.

We've checked in with our friends in Jacksonville and they have all made it through the storm. I saw this morning that Bill's beloved pier has been damaged and I think the hotel we have stayed in on the beach was flooded. Our family members are all located on the gulf side of the state and they were not affected except by a little rain.

It's gotten cooler today, was in the 40s last night. I've got a crockpot full of ham and corn chowder going. It's a new recipe and looked and sounded really good. I've also got laundry going. And now I have to work on getting my printer re-installed. The windows 10 update this week knocked it out and even though the system can find it, it won't install it. So, that's on my agenda today. Or maybe not. I don't need the cowl pattern I was trying to print that bad...or do I?!? See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment