Thursday, June 4, 2009

When we were first told that Bill needed a heart transplant, I was not bothered by the fact that a heart transplant is the only transplant that I know of where someone has to die. But, that fact has not bothered me. I don't mean it in a selfish way, like whatever it takes to save my husband's life is ok. I also haven't blocked the thought out intentionally. It may sound cold, but it seems like we're waiting for a part to come in, like for the car, and when it does, we take out the old part and put in the new part and he's fixed.

What I've also noticed recently, is when I see a news report of a horrible vehicle crash, or hear of another shooting in Memphis, I'm wondering if this will be the time we get the call that a heart is available, or if the family involved will donate any organs, or if someone else is lucky this time and gets whatever organ they need.

When our coordinator Jackie told us to live as normal a life as possible, it seemed like nothing would be normal again. I have felt that way since the last heart attack in 2007 that changed our lifes forever. How can we live a normal life when we are waiting for the phone to ring every minute? But, I've found that we can. Some days I never think about the transplant. Other days it is always on my mind. I have a special ringtone on my cell for the main number of the transplant center. I'll probably freak if it ever rings! We've made as many arrangements as we can, so that when the call does come, we're as prepared as we can be.

So, those are my thoughts for today. If anyone is reading this, I will ask that you pray for us. I also thank you for taking the time to read it. Please share any thoughts you may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment