Saturday, December 14, 2013

We survived our ice storm! School was out Monday and Tuesday and we kept McKenna. Brianna babysat for Emily's boss's grandson. We didn't leave the house at all Monday but was able to get the car cleaned off so we went out for lunch Tuesday, mainly to get out of the house. It was still pretty icy so we were very careful, especially of Bill. He kept telling me that he was going out to the apartment and it was getting to be quite an argument. I think he finally understood, after Ron and I both told him, that he couldn't risk falling and breaking a hip.

He and Bryan went shopping in Jonesboro Wednesday and he got his Christmas shopping done. Since I gave him a specific list of what I would like, and the number of gifts under the tree matches with the number of items on the list, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting. In years past I tried not to give him a list because he would always buy everything on the list. But now, that's about the only way he can shop. Bryan said he did really well with the crowds and they were home by early afternoon. While they were gone I wrapped gifts and took myself out to lunch. Bill doesn't like Mexican food so I went to Taco Bell.

Thursday night was Brianna's choir concert at the high school. It was really good and the jazz band played a couple of songs prior to the choir. There was also a good crowd which was good. I remember when Emily was in school and they had a combined choir/band concert. The parents of the choir members were very rude, in my opinion, because they left after the choir performed instead of staying to hear the band students. But, this year there are separate concerts.

Friday I went to Jonesboro to finish my shopping. Bill was determined that he was going to the apartment again to get the gifts he had stashed there. I asked our neighbor Joe to just peek out his window periodically to make sure Bill was laying on the parking pad. It was still pretty icy even though we had put down the ice melt. But that area gets very little sun. When I got home he had wrapped his gifts, but he told me he couldn't find one of them! Since I knew what it was we both went back to the apartment to look for it. We couldn't find it, but also couldn't imagine where he could have put it. We also looked in the garage and his car to no avail. But, as I was unplugging the tree lights getting ready to go to bed last night, I moved a package, and there was an extra one for me. The only thing we can think is he did wrap it along with the others and put it under the tree and then forgot he did it. That's one downfall of the stroke. Some days his memory is good and others it's cloudy.

It started raining/freezing rain/sleeting late yesterday afternoon and rained most of the night. We haven't left the house all day except to stand on the stoop and check the mail and put the flag up/bring it in. It was a gray gloomy day so a good day to get the laundry caught up. I also did some knitting and tonight will try to get the Christmas cards addressed.

I had said last week that I would elaborate on my word of the year, but this is already long enough so that will have to wait. I think I'll just throw an extra post in sometime this coming week about that.

All for this week. For all who are in the path of the snowstorm, stay safe and warm. I love snow and with I was at my mom's, but don't relish the drive. I've heard the roads are pretty bad, so will just stay home...for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment