Saturday, December 7, 2013

It has been an interesting week for us! And all of it is just "normal" stuff! It had been forecast from the beginning of the week that we would have a significant ice storm/winter weather event. The advisories started early on and moved on to watches and warnings as the week progressed. The target day was for Thursday night into Friday. So, planning for us started as well.

Monday I was in the attic handing the boxes of Christmas decorations down to Bill. Our hallway is now lined with boxes. So far the only decorating finished is the tree (used the little top down pre-lit tree) and the "Jesus people" as McKenna calls the nativity set. I'll get around to the rest of it! We also had practice with the kids for the Christmas program. Had some trouble hooking up the laptop to the projector, but Bryan came to the rescue and got us set.

Tuesday my legs were so sore from up and down the attic ladder that it was quite painful to stand up. Once I was up it was OK, but going from sitting to standing was a little difficult. I got Bill's meds ordered and found out that 1 needed a new script. I hope it comes in by Wednesday since it's one of the anti-rejection meds.

Wednesday Ron and Bill took of for Lowes and I hit Walmart for groceries and Thursday Ron was over early making sure the generator was ready. It rained most of the day and when we went to bed it was starting to sleet some. We had "thunder sleet" which is pretty cool. It has also happened while snowing and it's kind of hard to believe at first. The air is so unstable that, even though the precipitation is wintery, there is enough instability that there is lightning and thunder!

When we got up yesterday morning it was just starting to really kick in with freezing rain and sleet. Luckily the schools played it safe and had pre-emptively cancelled classes. Some outlying areas lost power early and ours flickered early but stayed on.

Emily and Bryan lost power about 4 in the afternoon so packed up and headed to our house. They did have a kerosene heater so Bryan went back to the house to stay with the animals. They did not get it back on until about 2 this afternoon. Ryan and Amanda didn't lose power but their bathroom pipes froze. I tried to go out yesterday afternoon to make sure the cabinet doors were open in the apartment but the door was frozen shut. I knew that the heaters were on so hopefully it's OK.

Emily and I had both made big pots of soup yesterday so we had good dinners and lunches. I fixed a big breakfast for all of us and it was kind of an adventure day. It's very cold and I let my car run for 30 minutes and barely touched the ice build-up.

Church has been cancelled tomorrow. Since most of our congregation is over 70 we didn't want to risk any broken bones. As we don't have a pastor, or any deacons, it was left to the only trustee we have and he made the call about 3 this afternoon. I think God will understand, and we are not the only church to cancel.

So, our week has been interesting. I'm sure Stephanie would be concerned about Bill, but I have not let him leave the house. He wanted to go out and help Ron, but it was already getting slick and we both overruled him. We need some more firewood and he can stand at the back door and I will hand it to him.

I've been working on my word for next year and I'll write more about that next week. I hope all of you stay safe and warm, or safe and cool, wherever you may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment