Friday, October 27, 2017

Posting early this week since we have a busy morning tomorrow. It's Kayden's 13th birthday and we have a tradition of going out for breakfast and then shopping. He wants to try a new restaurant (for him) and then shop for a winter coat. He's then going to come back to the house for a piano lesson. He got a keyboard from his mom and he's always liked messing around with beats and rhythms so he wants to add to that. I pulled out all of the old lesson books and there are a couple of things here that he can take with him.

Bill is not really any better, although he's having a good day and then a bad day. It's becoming quite a mystery. When we were at the dr. Monday he was still crackly so more Prednisone. He had lost 3 pounds so took some fluid off, but he stays so dry I think it did more harm than good. Since it has been about 6 weeks, she was going to contact Dr. Burbeck the pulmonologist instead of Mayo first. I haven't heard back so I don't know if she was able to get with her yet.

His blood sugar was a little high 2 hours after eating but I think that's due more to the Prednisone and the infection he's fighting. It can also be high if he isn't hydrated enough and since that is an ongoing problem, with the Lasix added in, it could also be that. They were going to check his A1C from the blood draw and I haven't heard anything on that front either so I'm assuming that it is OK.

Connie changed one of his inhalers and he's been coughing a lot more since starting it. I don't know if that's good or bad. McKenna has even noticed that he's coughing more. It is a wet cough so things are moving, but whether it's from whatever he's fighting or just from the COPD and emphysema, or from the new inhaler is unknown. He's only been on it since Tuesday so it may just be getting into his system and getting the Advair out. Another thing to ask Dr. Burbeck.

He's been cold all day today and has on a heavy flannel shirt and 2 blankets. He's also got a low grade fever and just looks like he doesn't feel good. It's been a cold, damp day here and I've turned the heat up twice. It still feels a little cool to me, but I've got on a short sleeve Tshirt. It's not supposed to be above 60 tomorrow and down to freezing tomorrow night. I wish now that I had called the chimney sweep last week like I was going to!

We got the new concentrator Monday. It seems fairly straightforward to operate and I've charged all the batteries. We have the little bag packed with the extra batteries and will give it a tryout tomorrow with Kayden. Hopefully Bill will feel well enough to go. He said a little while ago that I could go without him and that will depend on how he actually feels. I think Kayden will understand if it doesn't happen this week. There's always next week-end!

We got a new great-granddaughter today. She came 3 weeks early, but weighed 7 lbs and was nearly 20 inches long, so maybe the due date was just miscalculated. Her mom said that she's perfectly healthy and won't have to spend any extra time in the hospital. As far as I know, she's the last one coming for awhile, although with 2 grandsons recently married, it may not be long before there are more. 

That's about it for now. Hoping we have a better week next week. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment