Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Bill's appointment today was just so-so, but that was what I had expected. She has raised his oxygen flow to 3 continuous while resting and 4 when walking. His O2 sat is dropping to the low 80s when he is moving and sometimes even standing. She said as long as he can stay above 90 he's good.

Because the area of pneumonia was in the very bottom of the lung, she agreed that it may never clear. She also said that with the type of emphysema he has that it has pockets that can keep infection. She said just to watch any sputum output and if it is yellow or green to give them a call.

He does have some congestion and wants him to use his nebulizer twice a day for awhile to see if that will clear out. But, she's not too concerned about it.

We discussed using a mask vs the nasal cannula. Since he is more of a mouth breather, we've decided that we will try that while he is walking to see if that helps with the drop in O2. His nose is either stuffy or runny it seems, so he and I talked about him seeing either an allergist or and ENT to see if we can pinpoint a cause and find something that will help. He's on Zyrtek and Flonase already so I don't know what else we can do on our own.

That's it. As it goes, he's holding his own, but deteriorating, as expected. I was not surprised, but pleased that it wasn't worse.

I seem to be extremely tired tonight. I tweaked my back/hip, probably getting the concentrator in/out of the car. Plus, there was no valet parking available when we got there so had to park in the garage. Going from the garage to the clinic is down a ramp, which isn't too bad, but getting back was up the ramp. And, after we got home and had some lunch, I bought groceries and carried them in. Luckily I have no plans tomorrow and I'm hoping that just relaxing my body when I go to bed will help. I'll take my medicine tonight that should help and if it's still sore in the morning I'll do the ole heat/ice. 

I'll be back Saturday!


No comments:

Post a Comment