Saturday, September 14, 2019

This has been a very frustrating week! It ended better than it started though. And in some ways, it was boring enough that I don't even remember anything about last week-end. I could go look in my personal journal to see if anything major took place, but it's clear across the room and I don't even want to go that far to get it.

Monday Amy came to draw Bill's labs. I figured we would hear from Connie after she had seen all her patients. I needed to get a few groceries and when I went out, my car wouldn't start. It just kept telling me that it couldn't detect the key. I could use the fob to lock/unlock the doors, but that was it. I couldn't even use the fob in the emergency setting. Bill's car did start but was running really rough and I didn't want to chance getting someplace and then it wouldn't start again. So, Emily brought me her car. Bryan came by when he got off work and my car was totally dead, no lights on the dash at all and no response to the fob for the doorlocks. So, new battery time. I wish they would program the car to give a warning when the battery is low, but there was no warning at all. To change the battery, the drivers side tire has to come off, then the wheel well cover. Ryan said that he would come over Tuesday to do it for me so that I didn't have to have it boosted to get me to the dealer to get it done.

We didn't hear anything from Connie or Amy about the labs, although Emily had told me that his white count hadn't come down any, which was surprising because I can tell he feels better and he's not getting as winded walking as he had been, or coughing as much. So, especially since Em said it was crazy at the office, I figured we would hear on Tuesday.

Ryan came Tuesday and did get the battery changed.  We bought one but had to take it back. It was about 1/2 inch too wide to fit on the shelf. Ryan said it would work but he would have to use a bungee cord to secure it. So, we got a smaller one. It doesn't have as long a warranty on it. But, it fit on the shelf and it cranked the car so all is well. 

Wednesday Emily called and asked if Bill had finished his antibiotics. He had taken the last of them on Sunday. She called me after work and said that she had seen Amy as she was walking out and asked if Connie had decided anything and Amy said that she was calling in some more Doxycycline. Amy told Em that Jamie (the other nurse) had taken care of it. So, more pills but no shots.

Thursday morning I went to the pharmacy to get the pills, and there was nothing for him! So, I called Em and she checked with Amy and lo and behold, the meds had not been called in. Amy thought Jamie had done it and Jamie thought Amy had done it and no-one (who does a lot of things everywhere) had done it. I was not happy! To not even hear from Connie, who is a nurse practitioner, about the results of the labs, let alone what the treatment plan is, is really frustrating. And then to not get the meds called in. To me, if she was concerned enough when we were in the office 10 days ago to repeat the labs when he had finished the meds, she should have been on the phone on Monday when his white count had not changed! I told Em that if I knew she wouldn't get blamed (after Amy did tell her, assuming she would tell me), I would have just waited until one of them called. I can't even call and talk to the nurses or Connie because they just let it go to voicemail. But, that would also jeopardize Bill, even though it was nearly a week without the meds she thought he needed. I still don't know if we're to get the labs repeated when he's done with this round of meds or what. But, we're going to go to the office to have it done so that I know wha'ts going on. And, you can tell from this blog that we are compliant with drugs and instructions and Connie knows that I keep notes and notebooks on what's going on. It's nice that she will send her nurse to the house, especially when the weather is bad and there is a lot of sickness going around, but follow-up needs to be done. Anyway, I got the meds, just more Doxycycline which surprised me, and he's taking it. He does still feel better so hopefully this will work.

I changed the bandage on our neighbor Barb's foot Thursday as I've been doing all summer and that wound looks so much better! They brought us Zaxby's for supper that night as a thank you and when they brought it, I was taking it from her and kicked Bill's shoe (with his foot in it). I have re-jammed the big toe on my right foot. It really hurts and I can't bend it. So, I'm trying to figure out how to alternate limping on both feet. 

The brighter spot for the week is that Mouse is better. He went back to the vet yesterday and Dr. Cato could tell that his pain response was less and his temp was back to normal. He wants him to continue on the steroid for a few more days and then we'll check him again. He's (Mouse) has adapted to the leg being weaker. He's figured out new ways to get from point A to point B that doesn't require a lot of jumping. He's been climbing the bedspread to get on the bed and yesterday morning instead of grabbing on to just the bedspread, he also grabbed on to my foot...at 3 am! I'm surprised Bill didn't hear me yell, but he said he didn't. 

So, that's our frustrating week. Hopefully this coming one will be a little smoother. Maybe it will be a little cooler, although according to weather forecast yesterday, summer is not going to go meekly. We're back to heat advisories again. Some harvesting has started, not sure what crop it is, and a few fields are being burned, so that makes breathing difficult for people, especially ones with comprised pulmonary function. So Bill may not be leaving the house much. We also desperately need rain. Our grass is so brittle. I really don't want to have to start watering, but, we won't have any grass again if it doesn't get some moisture. Some of the trees are already losing leaves, so it's getting pretty bad. 

I hope everyone has a good week-end and week ahead. I know I'm looking forward to one with no craziness, but who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment