Tuesday, December 25, 2018

As I had expected, Bill has been staying awake all night. It hasn't been because he wants to stay up watching TV, it's because they won't leave him alone. Now, I realize that some things must be done, like hanging meds and drawing labs, but why do a bath at midnight when it could be done closer to end of shift? And instead of just opening the door to the room and work by the light from the nurses station, which are supposed to be dimmed at 10, they flipped on the overheads. They also started the percussion part of the bed at 12:45 am and it runs for 15 minutes...thumping and thumping and thumping. Think about listening to a loud car in the summer with it's windows down and the music blaring. The room doesn't get dark enough for Bill, but there's not a whole lot I can do about that.

And, before I forget, the respiratory tech is not Chad but Corey. Anyway, he's still a super nice guy who likes Bill a lot and that's all that matters to me.

Mary-Rose, Jack and the kids got here about 7 and brought a small Christmas tree that the kids decorated and a beautiful glass nativity ornament that lights up and changes color. It will really pretty on a silver ornament stand instead of on the tree. It's pretty big. They didn't stay long as they hadn't eaten and they were pretty tired from travelling all day. Petra and William both talked nonstop and it was like watching a tennis match with one on each side of me! But, I didn't stop them!

Bill slept through it all so they didn't stay long. About 9 I turned off the TV and sat with just the tree lights on. I had planned on leaving them on all night, but it was too bright! So, off they went and out I tried to be and people started coming in. From 9:30 until 12:45, someone was in the room about every 30 minutes.

I went to the bathroom down the hall about 2 and noticed that the 3 rooms I have to pass all had their doors open, all the lights in the room out and the TV on. I know when I've come in the past, the TV would be on when I would get here in the morning. Anyway, I told Bill where I was going and when I got back his nurse was in the room and Bill was very agitate about something. I asked him what he wanted and he said "you". I told him again where I had been and then he said he wanted his cell phone. I told him it was at home and when he could talk, I would bring it to him.

People were still in and out of the room. I finally slept from 3:45 until 5:30. I've made it up until now without a nap, but it's probably not going to be very long until I'm done for the day.

Because he had stayed awake all night, he has slept almost all day. When our nurse went to get a new bottle of food for him, she was told that the entire hospital was out of that particular food. So, he's been switched to Glucerna. So far he has tolerated it, but he's also having frequent stools again. I hope that's all it is and nothing else going on.

My chair is not comfortable to sleep in. It aggravated my shoulder and elbow, but I came prepared with Biofreeze and so far it's been tolerable. I'll sleep in it again tonight and then my own bed tomorrow night.

Our nurse Lizzie was going to make sure that the night nurse Nikki knew that we were trying to get Bill straightened out. She said his bath will be at the end of the shift instead of midnight like it should be. She was also going to make sure they knew to dim the lights.

We were able to open our gifts, but Bill wasn't really interested in them. He was more interested in sleeping.

So that's it. It will probably be an early night for me anyway, and hopefully for him to. His nurse just came in with meds to hang, so the fun begins again. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment