Tuesday, December 11, 2018

I took notes today, I really did. But, I'm too warm and snuggled into my robe to get up and dig through my backpack to get the notebook, sit back with my laptop, turn on the light, and read what I wrote. So, instead I'm sitting here rocking and I'm going to wing it. It actually won't be too hard to do.

Bill was stable most of the day. His nurse Kellye said she had suctioned a bunch of nasty stuff before I got there and, in her opinion, he needed another broncoscopy. I told her that they were talking tracheotomy and she said that had been mentioned. But, nothing had been concerned and she was going to ask pulmonology when they rounded this morning.

Dr. Threlkeld said we were definitely on the right track with the antibiotics and he believed in cheating and playing dirty when it was for a good cause. He said he sounded good, but he always sounds better than his x-rays indicate.

The GI doctor, and I think he said his name was Dr. French, said that his blood count had come up nicely with the unit of blood he had received the other day and they would just continue to monitor, as there was really nothing to indicate putting him through and endoscopy since they couldn't identify an active bleed anywhere.

Kellye did ask Dr. Munday what he thought about doing the bronch and he agreed after looking at his x-ray that he needed one. It was done this afternoon and again, he cleaned a lot of junk out. I know they were sending some samples to the lab again as I went back to his room just as they got him settled down again and the respiratory therapists were just leaving. The plan now was to let him rest the remainder of the day and then try tomorrow to extubate. If they can't extubate by Friday, then we are probably looking at a trach. It doesn't mean that it will be permanent. He had one after the transplant that they thought would be permanent and he had it 2 days short of a month. I told Dr. Munday that I was not opposed to it.

I left shortly after that as he was still sedated and would be through the night. As I was leaving I did get some sad news. The man in the room next to Bill has been extremely sick now and as I was telling the staff that I was leaving for the day his wife came out and told me that all of his lines were being pulled and turned off today. She said they had talked about it before he got to this point and the children were all in agreement that this is what he would have wanted. My heart broke for her, maybe because it really hit a little too close to home. She said that while she was sad, she was at peace with the decision. 

Bill's girls are arriving tomorrow and I'm going to stay in Memphis again tomorrow night. Emily and Bryan and Ryan and Amanda are coming down when Em and Bryan get off work and we are going to have a family meeting. I've told them that while I want to hear their opinions and ideas, the final decision will be mine. I know Em, Ryan and Mary Rose have all said they will support whatever I decide. Harris has said that he trusts me to do what is best for Bill and, even though Aimee hasn't said anything, I don't anticipate any problems there. I still haven't heard anything from Joe or John. I'm not anticipating having to make any major decisions tomorrow night, but at least we will know where we all stand.

So, that's it. It was so quiet today that I actually sat and dozed some. Kellye said they needed to find a recliner for me but I told here there was really no room for one. I was propping my head on my hand and she could see me from the desk and was afraid that I would fall out of the chair! I told her that I was never that deep asleep and was aware of everything going on. Story of my life for the last 20 years!

We got the bill from the flight yesterday...$46,736.60! Luckily we have a membership and a pilot told me that they have to accept whatever Medicare pays as payment in full. He said the memberships are really only beneficial for people who are not covered by Medicare. But, I willed it out and have it ready to mail back to them. I remember with the first flight he took with heart attack #2 it was a mere $10,000! And that was 20 years ago.

All for tonight. I'm not sure if I'm taking my laptop tomorrow, it depends how light I can pack up. I don't want to take an actual suitcase so it may take some creative packing. But, if there's not an update tomorrow night or Thursday morning, you'll know that I didn't take it and it will be updated when I get back home. And with that, I'm going to bed! Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment