Thursday, December 6, 2018

Decided to update tonight so that I can pack the computer. I have to be there at shift change in the morning so I won't have a lot of time to sit around in the morning. I'll need to leave here about 5:30.

Bill didn't have as good a day today. They did the breathing test before I got there and it apparently did not go well. His nurse, who is my absolute favorite one, said the respiratory therapist also did not tell her and he had no-one to encourage to take deep breaths. She also thinks he needs me there to encourage him. So, that's the reason for being there at shift change, in case they start early again. Jacinta, the nurse, was going to leave a note that the test was not to be started unless I was there.

Dr. Munday came in and is debating another broncoscopy. He was very junky today and had to be suctioned quite a lot early. This time it was a little blood-tinged, both from the vent and the secretions from his mouth. Bill had also dislodged the vent and the tube had to be repositioned. That could also be where the blood came from. Jacinta also said that he became a little combative with her while she was suctioning, trying to hit her. So she changed sides of the bed and he tried with the other hand! She was so surprised because he's usually not like that.

They've continued to tweak his meds, especially the one keeping his heart rate up. She had turned it down a little before I left and he was doing fine. Dr. Edwards would really like to get him off of that one.

The kidney dr. came in and his kidney function has again improved. She's almost certain it was just dehydration that caused the high numbers. She change his IV fluid from normal saline to D5W, which is water, to remove some of the sodium that is causing the swelling in his hands. They also started Lasix this afternoon to try to pull that fluid off.

 Jacinta also turned his sedation down a little bit before I left and he moved his hand when I told him I loved him and I'd see him tomorrow. Since we don't know what he hears, I talk to him all the time.

The endo dr. is still tweaking his insulin to go with the tube feedings. I also think the dietician is going to tweak the amount he gets per feed. I don't know if he's losing weight, gaining weight, or maintaining. But he's tolerating it well and digesting it.

He got a lovely bath from Jacinta and Magnolia and this time he couldn't be mean to Maggie like he was with the first bath she gave him the last time! He also got a couple of dressing changes and one small line removed. It was in his neck and it couldn't be flushed, so it was taken out. He has the central like with so many different lines coming off it I don't know how they keep them straight! He also has 2 other sites that can be used if necessary.

They ended up having two codes called last night, one just before I left and another after I left in the room next to Bill's. The nurse actually had the computer in the hall outside the room with a chair for her to monitor. I don't know if there is extra equipment in there or just what the reason was. I didn't look into the room to see. But, the first code did survive and the first thing the man wanted to know was where his wife was! He couldn't tell them his name, but wanted his wife!

My shoulder was better today. I was telling one of the nurse practitioners about it and he wanted to know what I was doing for it. I told her the meds I was taking and what strength and frequency. She said I was doing exactly what would be prescribed, just to make sure I ate with the meds and I have been doing that. She also said I could take them around the clock if I wanted. I told her the only time I didn't take them was through the night. That might be why it hurts so much in the morning! I'd like to go to bed, but I can't take them for another 90 minutes!

I did not get a chance to speak to the Palliative Care Team today, but I'll call first thing in the morning. I've gotten a lot of good advice from a lot of friends and family. So I feel more at peace with my decision.

Reservations are made for the hotel, just need to pack my suitcase and hope that a cat doesn't decide to go to. Kitty wanted to go out with me this morning, so I told Bill that she wanted to come and visit him! It will fee strange not to have a cat roaming on top of me at 4 in the morning at the hotel. I'll probably still wake up at 5!

All I can think of without actually getting up and getting my notebook out, and I'm too comfortable now to dig through my backpack. If I forgot anything I'll add it tomorrow night or Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment