Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Today was a great day! Seems like it's been a good while since I've said that.

I listened very closely when the team was rounding this morning. Although they stay out in the hall and speak rather softly, if you listen hard you can hear what is said. Jenifer, a nurse manager, said that he was on track to be moved Friday to Restorative Care, and Connor, his nurse said that Dr. Edwards had nixed the plan. Everyone kind of looked at Chandra who is the nurse practitioner for cardiology who rounds and she said that even though she was not in the morning team meeting, she could hear Dr. Edwards yelling at everyone. She then told Dr. Williams that when she raises her voice, she's told she's being emotional! So, my opinion of Dr. Edwards being arrogant still stands, at least in my book.

Everyone I asked this morning just gave the standard answer of "He's the boss" or "he's gotten him this far", until I asked Dr. Williams if he knew what his reasoning was. He said it was just personal, he didn't like that kind of medicine, it was a step down in his (Dr. Edwards) opinion. He said they had sent a couple of patients there who hadn't done well and had to come back down to the unit. But, he said not to worry, he would get him to come around to his way of thinking. So, that made me feel better.

The peg is going to be placed tomorrow morning. I just talked to Connor and Meredith who is going to be his nurse tonight and they finally got the order for the consent form. I was planning on going early in the morning since I hadn't signed any paperwork and they didn't have a time for it on the OR schedule yet. But, I could give consent tonight over the phone, which I did. That way if I don't get there before they want to do it, there's no hold-up.

Bill was very sleepy this morning and not very responsive, but we think he's not sleeping much at night. They said sometimes vent patients only catnap, but if it gets to be a problem, they would see about getting him something mild to help him sleep.

He was placed in a breathing trial about 8 this morning. That's where the vent is set to act as a CPAP machine. He does all the breathing and since I don't know exactly how a CPAP works, that's about all I can tell you. He did fine, oxygen levels stayed up. HIs heart rate was a little high this morning and his blood pressure was low, but he hadn't had his medicine that raises his pressure. He stayed that way until 11:40 and they decided to try the trach collar again. This is the oxygen mask that goes around his neck and covers the trach. He did not do well with this Monday but today he rocked it! When I spoke to Connor a few minutes ago, he was still on the collar and all of his numbers were still good. At one time his oxygen level was 100%! He was still coughing a lot and they did have to suction it a couple of times, but he was breathing well, even fell asleep. They are planning on putting him back on the vent for the night in a bit so that he can rest. He really worked hard today!

He became more aware later in the afternoon and responded to things. Mary Rose called and I held the phone to his ear and he tried to talk. He can make a sound, but without the trach being covered with a special speaking cover, he can't really talk with it. He did figure out how to do it before and I'm sure he'll figure it out again. 

He told me he would behave tonight after I left, then grinned and shrugged his shoulders as if to say, what happens in transplant stays in transplant.

I finally got a recliner in the room and if he's still there for Christmas, and I suspect he will be since he probably won't be completely off the vent by then, or Dr. Edwards changes his mind, I'm going to stay Christmas Eve night. I said we've never been apart at Christmas and we weren't going to start now.

Mary Rose, Jack and the kids are coming for Christmas and they are bringing a small tree for the window sill of his room. We also have a few gifts to put under it, if I don't forget where I put them! So it won't be a totally barren Christmas. I've got to get the boys checks mailed to them, and Mom and Ronna, yours will come after Christmas, but I know you understand!

Chaplain Joseph stopped by this morning and wanted to make sure that I had updated this. He finds the idea of this blog fascinating for some reason. I assured him that it was up to date, that I did it either at night before bed, or first thing in the morning, but I knew that my mother would look for an update in the morning. He's a very nice man and said that he can tell that many prayers have been said for Bill and that I have been in constant prayer for him. He has come in and prayed with us and for us and just wants to make sure that we are not in need of anything.

Another good thing today, the other couple I've met got to leave today after nearly 6 months in the hospital. If his labs are good Friday they will get to go home. They also live about the same distance away as we do, just in another direction.

OK, I've updated and I've rambled some. It's just about time for me to say goodnight since I want to leave a little early for the hospital. I would like to be there before they take Bill, although it could be done bedside, but Connor didn't think that was likely. So, goodnight everyone. I may take this tomorrow so that I can update after the placement, but if there's nothing during the day, I will update at the usual time.

No comments:

Post a Comment