Saturday, January 10, 2015

Good Morning from the frozen mid-south! It's a balmy 17 degrees with a windchill of 11! But, so many of you out there are so much colder. We don't have the snow to deal with...yet.

We've had a week of ups and downs, and it seems like it's been more down than anything. Sunday night Bill was up 5 times during the night using the bathroom. So, that triggered thoughts about his sugar being up. He had a problem with it in the hospital and nursing home, but they thought it was probably due to the feeding tube. It did settle down and he hasn't had a problem since he got out of rehab. I tested him when he got up and his fasting number was pretty high. For those of you who don't have to worry about this, normal fasting is below 100. Normal, 2 hours after eating, is between 120 and 140. I kept track of it for a few days, consulted with our local dr. office, and it has settled back down some. We didn't eat a lot of sweets through the holidays, but I started watching and, if there was something sweet in the house, Bill was eating it. So, once this stuff is gone, no more. One of his meds can also cause diabetes, and his father had it in the later years of his life. Just one more thing for me to worry about!

I don't know if blood sugar fluctuations can affect mental processes, but I suspect it can. His thought processes have been out of character. This also happened right before and during the time he was diagnosed with depression before his last heart attack. We have had several disagreements over things that he thinks should be done. Then, the next day, everything is back on an even keel. Maybe I'm just too used to the way things are/have been lately and don't want to deal with the change. But, deep down, I'm thinking he needs to go see Dr. Salguerio again for a bit. I've told him that his current thinking is reminding me of that time, but he won't hear it. So, I'm waiting and watching. But, I've told him I won't walk on eggshells again, afraid to say anything that I know he won't like just to avoid his reaction (which won't be pretty). He told me at that time that if he's acting out to let him know, and I reminded him of that the other day, but it didn't sink in. We'll just have to see how the next few days go. Still another thing for me to worry about!

On a good note, when his meds came in this week, Bill filled his own weekly container! I sat beside him and talked him through it. But, I had typed out a new instruction sheet to keep in his medicine box, and he followed it line by line. I'll see if he remembers how to do it tomorrow when it's time to fill his weekly container again.

It's been so cold here, but better than a lot of the country! We finally left the house on Thursday night to go out to eat. Thankfully my car has seat warmers and a heated steering wheel! Bill stays so cold and he kept saying we needed to go back to Florida, until I told him that it snowed at the Jacksonville Zoo Thursday! We could get some rain/freezing rain/snow tomorrow morning and again early Monday morning. We do like to spend time in each other's company, but I'm needing a me day, at least for an hour or so. Since it's been so cold Bill hasn't walked around to his man cave to use the treadmill. He's supposed to go with Ron today to get some car parts or something which should take 2-3 hours. He wasn't going to go, but I told him I needed him to.

We're taking Brianna shopping today for softball cleats for her birthday. Doesn't seem like much of a Sweet 16 gift, but it's what she wanted. We had McKenna after school yesterday until her mom got off work and she talked from the minute she walked in the door. She was trying to go to the kitchen to get a snack and she didn't get past the doorway to the dining room before she had to come back and tell us something else!

I think that's it for this week. I need to get us some breakfast before Ron calls/comes by for Bill. Stay warm!

UPDATE: Ron came by and the parts he wanted aren't available so they aren't going. There goes my me day. Oh well, there will be another one.


3 comments:

  1. Good luck with his "numbers", hope they stay where they are supposed to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know your daughter is a shop-a-holic and looks for every opportunity to go...all you have to do is say Let's Go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I really want is a day at home alone with just me. I love you Emily but company is not what I need.

    ReplyDelete