Saturday, February 13, 2016

We've had a pretty busy week since the last post.

Our neighbors came over Saturday for a visit. Joe comes over a lot and Barbara has started to come over more. So, we had a pretty good little visit. It was a relatively warm day, in the 50s and sunny.

Sunday we took a long drive. It was again a pretty day. We headed west for an hour and then south for an hour and then back east. We had lunch in a town that is actually about 45 minutes away, if you take the direct route. But, taking the back roads is much more interesting. We saw a lot of pretty houses, and several that were for sale, not that we are looking. 

Monday and Tuesday we had snow flurries off and on and it was so cold with a brisk north wind. We were both out for a bit, but not long.

Bill has had a pretty good week. He still doesn't understand that he will not be cured from the COPD and emphysema. I finally told him the only cure was a lung transplant and then asked if he really wanted to go through all of that process again. Since then he hasn't argued about using it at night and he's leaving it on all night.

I talked to our O2 rep about a smaller unit since we don't need the home fill unit (I can't see having it just sit unused when someone else could get some use out of it). They don't carry the portable ones but she did say we were supposed to have some bigger tanks to use for out of town travel and back-up. They were delivered this week, but the other small tanks and the home fill unit were not picked up...and the new tanks are both empty! I think he had been to exchange some for another patient and brought the wrong ones in. I haven't called to get them exchanged yet, I've been too angry about it. I'm considering more and more about changing companies, but I want to do some research first.I doesn't make much sense to me that they make this equipment to give patients a better quality of life and allow them to be more independent but insurance and companies don't want to use them. So, research it is.

Remember at the first of the year I picked the word change? I also said that I needed to make some personal changes. Well, this was the time to do that. I had a dr. appointment this week. It was time for new prescriptions, which is about the only time I go to the dr. unless I am sick. All of the labs came back perfect and normal, but I told the nurse practitioner that it was time to take care of me. I haven't felt bad, or had any alarming things, just that it was time. So she ticked off mammogram, colonoscopy (it's been 8 years), pap smear, the usual stuff and then asked if I had ever had my carotids dopplered. I had not so she also wanted that done. She made the comment that too many people depended on me.

The doppler test was scheduled for yesterday morning and when the tech asked the usual questions all of the answers were no (heart attack, stroke, dizzy, falling, etc.) Then she said "Then why are you here?". I told her I didn't know and she said that they had put down that I had passed out and maybe they did that just to get insurance to pay for it. She spent a lot of time on the left side in one spot and finally said that she was having a hard time finding the place she needed to see, but that was just the way I was made, there was nothing wrong. She said she didn't see much plaque at all. She also told me that I had been scheduled for a mammogram for the 30 minutes before this test, but no-one had told me! I was able to get in after the test. I felt sorry for the tech, she had to deal with hairy pits! But, also got that done. I won't know those results until next week and unless they find something I will just get a letter. I imagine if there is something there they will call and have me come in. So, half of the tests are done. The rest are scheduled for March.

We both have eye appointments next week but that's it for awhile.

We don't have any big plans for Valentine's Day. Bill ordered me some flowers from McKenna. Their youth group always has a rose tent for a big fundraiser. They should be here any time. But, it's very cold again only going to be about 30 today so we aren't going anywhere. We're supposed to have sleet, freezing rain and then rain tomorrow so we'll stay where we are nice and cozy.

Hope everyone has a good week ahead!
 

1 comment: