Thursday, October 25, 2018

Bill was admitted back to the hospital yesterday afternoon for shortness of breath. Every little movement sent his oxygen level extremely low. They seem to be concentrating more on his heart this time. Dr. Burbeck seemed to think that it was a rejection issue more than a pulmonary issue, yet Stephanie didn't seem to think so when I gave her the symptoms.

Ricky, our home health nurse, came by yesterday and listened and he said he heard some odd sounds in the lower part of his left lung with his normal wheezing in the top. So, off we went.

Bill was not happy to be going and was refusing, until I sat on the bed with him and cried. I told him he needed to see how this affected other people. I also told him that I knew he was tired of being poked and prodded, but unless he was ready to let go, he wasn't dying on my watch. So, he said he would go.

All kinds of tests were run...chest x-ray, echo, EKG, CT scan and lots of labs, but I still know absolutely nothing! He was somewhat dehydrated so he got two bags of IV pushed and some Lasix. They way that was explained, since that seemed to me to contradict, was that they needed to draw some fluid from his ankles which were a little swollen, but they didn't want it to draw too much fluid, hence the IVs.

I did not like the ER dr, and I'm usually differential to them. But, he had the "I'm the dr. and you are just the patient's wife" attitude. I could probably tell him more about Bill's medical condition and history than he would be able to find through whatever tests he wanted done. He came into the room 1 time and 1 time only.

The nurse that was still on when he got upstairs was one we had before and she was a sweetie in the 45 minutes we had her, even got a meal tray ordered and heated for him. His night nurse Cody was good too. I usually don't see much of the night staff since I come home every night, but I knew he would have questions that Bill couldn't answer.

The only real drawback so far, other than not knowing what is going on, is that he's in one of the self-adjusting beds to prevent bedsores and it sits very high and the tray table will not go under it far enough for him to eat easily. I may have to ask if it can be changed to a regular bed.

I'm mulling around the idea of having him transferred to Mayo. We are members of the Med-evac system so there would be no cost to him. They do have medical planes, in addition to helicopters. I don't know if I would be able to fly with him or have to drive so Emily and I have been brainstorming the logistics of everything. I'll know more on making that decision when I hear back from Stephanie, and when I know more about the plan here.

So, that's where we are. Hopefully I'll get there to see some of the drs. this morning and then go from there. I can see some of his record online and there are no tests ordered for today so far. There are also no results from everything yesterday. 

I don't know if I'll get this updated tonight after I get home or if I'll wait until in the morning like today, it will just depend on how tired I am when I get home. All the family has been notified, but I don't know if a couple of them turned their cell phones on. They are travelling and they usually don't keep their phones on or check social media or anything on the road. So, they may not know. But all other family members who need to know have been notified.

OK, need to get moving. It's still earlier than I want to leave, but I've got to get some things gathered for Bill then stop and get gas and breakfast and hit the road. Until the next update...

No comments:

Post a Comment