Tuesday, October 30, 2018

For those of you who were wondering why there was no post yesterday, we have arrived at the point in his recovery that nothing important is really happening. Sunday I left early to take care of some things at home. I woke up to no heat, so needed to arrange for a repairman to come and then to pick up all the cat toys and at least wash what few dishes there were sitting around.

I had left Bill's room for 10 minutes to get some lunch...and missed the only Dr. who came in all day up to that point. He said yesterday that there weren't any other drs. in. 

Bill is feeling better and wants to come home, but he is still de-sating when he stands. Yesterday he stood and pivoted to get to his bedside commode and then repeated the process after he was finished and his oxygen level dropped to 75. He still recovers after a few minutes and some reminders to breathe through his nose, but if he can't take a single real step, he doesn't need to be home. He's a little grumpy from all the steroids, and he said that his new bed is not comfortable. They have gone to the type of beds that change pressure points automatically to prevent bed sores and he just couldn't find a good position. Yesterday afternoon they put an egg carton mattress on top of it, so maybe that gave him a better night.

He was also telling me about a woman in red who came in after I left and got mad at him for getting out of bed (he had been in his chair most of the day) and wrote a note about it for me, but he dropped it and then couldn't find it. I looked under all the furniture and there was nothing, so I think that despite his claims of not sleeping for more than 20 minutes, he was actually dreaming.

Dr. Threlkeld did say yesterday that we are still on the right track as far as antibiotics go and another chest xray was done, but I don't know what it showed. I don't know if any other drs. came in before I left yesterday.

The heat is fixed, our neighbor Joe agreed to let the repairman in and $300 later it's working and there shouldn't be any other problems. It was all due to a rusty exhaust pipe. Pieces of rust had broken off and fallen into the motor he replaced last year (for the same reason). It didn't have to be replaced, but he did replace the pipe. It is so nice to have people you can count on. The repairman goes to church with Emily and Joe is always ready to help. Anyway, I came home to a warm house, even though it was in the low 70s yesterday. 

It's supposed to rain starting tomorrow and we are supposed to get about 2 inches before it's all over. That's probably when they will decided to discharge Bill...in the middle of a thunderstorm!

I would like to hear from pulmonology about a plan for the dropping O2 levels an what can be done about them...if anything. If this is going to be the new normal, we will have to do some re-arranging of furniture to accommodate Bill being in his little wheelchair most of the time to move through the house. But, that could yet be farther down the road, or not im the plan at all. But it would be nice to know.

So, we're in a recovery holding pattern. I have taken his suitcase and oxygen to the hospital in case they decide they are done with him, but I still don't anticipate that. If they decide to discharge, I'll have to tell them that I can't care for him like he is, which is true. I can do lots of things, and will do lots of things concerning personal care, but I can't lift him easily, and by that I mean assist him in standing. I know I can't lift him, especially if he should fall. I can always apply for Aid and Attendance through the VA to get extra money to help pay for in home help if necessary, and it may come to that. We'll just have to see.

So, that's where we are. Maybe some doctors with some answers will come in today while I'm there. I've been having to leave a little earlier than usual since it's getting dark earlier now. I don't drive well at night anymore, as happens to most older people, and the long drive is starting to wear on me some. 

This post is probably concerning to mom, but I'm fine, Mom, just a little tired. Went to bed early last night and I am eating and sleeping. It would be nice, I admit, to get up and not have to go anywhere! But, that's not how it is, and as I told a gentleman Saturday who has been in the transplant unit with his cousin for more than a month, "He's my husband, this is my job".

There you have it, for the latest wrap-up. Hopefully there will be more news in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment