Sunday, October 28, 2018

Bill was much better yesterday, I could tell by looking at his face when I got there. I was later yesterday because I had an errand to take care of first and there was a detour that took a little longer. He was having a breathing treatment and they had brought his lunch. But, his color was better and his numbers were great!

Ryan and Amanda and the baby were there too (we met on the highway so they could follow me) and we had fun playing with him and a visit with them.

I only got to see one doctor and that was Dr. Edwards the head transplant cardiologist, and he said there were absolutely no signs of rejection and wanted to know who told us that. When I said it was our pulmonologist, he just got an incredulous look on his face. He did say that the left side of the heart is a little stiff but that's normal this far out from transplant and the right side was enlarged a little from higher pulmonary pressures from the pneumonia. Bill's left side has always been stiff from all the problems during the transplant and the pressures have come down.

His O2 sats were staying in the upper 90s, even breathing through his mouth, although whenever he moves, even from a wheelchair to a chair or the chair to the commode, they are dropping into the 70s again. That still hasn't been addressed so I don't know what the plan will be, if there will even be a plan.

The best news is that he was moved back to the step-down unit right after dinner last night. I stayed until they got him settled in and then headed home. I hate driving in the dark and now with it getting dark earlier, it's tougher. But, traffic was light for the most part.

Bill did tell me that a doctor came in before I got there and "whatever it was has cleared". So, I don't know if it was Dr. Williams who wanted to look at the chest xray before he was moved the other day or someone else. I did see Dr. Williams in the unit all afternoon, so I'm assuming it was him. That's the drawback about going later even on a week-end, you take a chance on missing doctors.

The unit was a hive of activity as they were preparing for a transplant and it was very interesting to watch. There was a lot of activity in 2 rooms and I'm beginning to think that the patient that I heard paramedics say was from Jonesboro was actually the donor and the patient in the room next to Bill's was the recipient. As we were moving to the other unit we passed the conference room and there was a young couple in there, could have been married, could have been siblings, and I really wanted to stop and talk to them. But, I didn't, I just said a prayer for them, whether they were from donor or recipient family. I just know it was going to be the longest night of their lives!

So, that's the update. I woke up to a cold house this morning. The heat has gone out again. I changed the batteries in the thermostat and that didn't help so I guess I'll see if Bryan can come over this evening and check it out. It's supposed to be warm today, in the mid 70s so it won't be too bad and then get cold. I'll have to make some arrangements to get someone here to fix it, if it's something Bryan can't do. Always something!

I think I'm going to get my tail moving and head to the hospital earlier this morning since I'll have to come home earlier to see about the heat. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment