Saturday, October 27, 2018

It was another eventful day, although not in a good way. Bill was not having a good day when I got there, I could tell just by looking at him when I walked in the door. He said he hurt all over, his stomach was upset and he had a headache. He said he had told the nurse about it so I assumed she would see if ne could have some Tylenol. He hadn't eaten breakfast and refused to even have his tray brought in. He told me that even his brain wasn't working right, and we he can tell that, there's a problem.

Dr. Threlkeld thought that the pain in his joints could have been from the new antibiotic that they were giving in case there was a blood infection. He said that is a known side effect, but it doesn't affect everyone. There were still no results from the re-drawn of the blood when I left last night. He did say that if it wasn't a false positive, the picc line would probably have to come out. He does have some yeast developing around his privates so some cream was to be ordered for that.

When the nurse brought his morning meds I noticed that she didn't read off his prograf, which is one of the anti-rejection drugs. She said it wasn't ordered, but then when I said he was on it, she said that his level was too high during his last blood test. That made sense to me then that they were holding it. Why she just didn't say that to begin with, I don't know. Anyway, soon after I questioned it the coordinator I spoke with on the phone the day before came in to explain it, and his level was way too high. She also gave me her card and told me to have Stephanie call her instead of just requesting his records the way she usually does and that she would send her whatever they wanted. We discussed his upcoming visit to Mayo and decided that he would be too weak still to travel, so I message Stephanie Chandra's information last night and cancelled his appointments. I now need to cancel all of the hotels.

While Chandra and I were talking, Bill got some Tylenol for his headache and Polly, the other cardiology nurse practitioner came in and said she didn't like the way he was sounding so she ordered some Lasix to draw some more fluid off and then said that she wanted to have him transferred to the transplant unit itself, which is like and ICU, not because he was in distress, but so he could be monitored more closely. It is pretty much one on one nursing there. She also ordered a breathing treatment, but when they decided to transfer him it didn't get down until after the transfer.

As we were waiting for the transfer, which actually didn't happen for another 4 hours, Dr. Monday came in and said that another broncoscopy had not been taken off the table yet, they were just waiting to see what Dr. Threlkeld wanted. 

After refusing lunch Bill was finally able to rest some. We got the room quiet with no TV so he could sleep. I was knitting and saw a white coat walking out of the room. I didn't even hear Dr. Williams come in and he didn't say anything since Bill was sleeping. He did come back and listen to him and asked me if they had done his chest x-ray, which they had, so he left to look at it, but didn't ever come back! So I don't know what it shows yet. 

He finally got moved to the unit about 3 and he doesn't like it much. It's a much smaller room and lots of glass so that he can be seen easily. I imagine I'll hear how hard it was to sleep last night!,

Our nurse was one we had had in step-down and the nurse he had before he was moved said she is on all week-end and she would probably see him again. She didn't think he would be in the unit long. It sounded to me that the congestion was easing with the Lasix, as he wasn't coughing as much.

He did eat about half of his dinner. I made sure they would bring him the hot entrĂ©e, since his lunch was the same nasty sandwich he had had the night before, so he got a pork chop with some rice and cabbage. 

Physical therapy came in and got him moved to his chair. During that short walk, only about 6 shuffling steps, his oxygen dropped to 78. It did come back up and at one point Rachel, the nurse and I looked at the monitor and he was at 97%! So, it's just when he moves, or sits upright that it's dropping. But, he had only moved 1 other time and that was to move to the gurney for the swallow test.

I told him I was coming later today, but that may not happen. I need to send a package off, and I don't know if the counter at the post office is open on Saturday. There is a mail service here in town, but I don't want to wait around until 10 for it to open, but the package I need to mail needs to be in Texas by Wednesday. I may take it to Emily to see if she will do it for me.

Ryan and Amanda are planning on coming down today. At least the unit has liberal visiting hours. It used to have the same restricted visiting hours as the regular ICU. The only difference to me staying there is I would have to sleep in the waiting room instead of his room. There's also only 1 good chair in his room, and that the one for him to sit in. So, it may be a very uncomfortable stay for me the next few days.

So, as always, 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Hopefully he won't be in the unit long and they can get the pneumonia cleared for good this time. His sinuses are not draining like they were, maybe from the new antibiotic, but they are very dry now from the oxygen. They had started humidifying it before he was moved, so maybe they'll get that again.

As I said, it was eventful, and frustrating that he's gone back some, but the drs. are all working together so hopefully they'll get a plan in place. When I know something, you'll know something.

Again, I've gotten so many messages of love, support and prayers through this, it's very heartwarming. Thank you to everyone, they are definitely felt.

1 comment:

  1. I love you & Uncle Bill. Please give him my love & a hug & give yourself one while you're at it. Please take care of you while he is being taken care of by them. <3 As always, love, hugs, & PRAYERS! ����������

    ReplyDelete