Saturday, May 25, 2019

I'm so sleepy! I've been up for more than an hour, on my second cup of coffee and I could easily go back to sleep. The cats have all been fed and the house is nice and quiet. But I know if I lay back down, I'll be wide awake. So, I'll update this and read my devotion and write in my personal journal and who knows what else until it's time to get Bill up for his meds.

Bill has had a decent week, until yesterday, and it wasn't bad. It just stressed how little he's moved. He did have a breakthrough on Wednesday. I told him I needed him to do something and when he asked what I told him I needed him to get on his treadmill. So he did! He only walked for 3 minutes (may not have been that long since he kept stopping to make sure the counter was working), but even if it was 2 minutes, that's still 2 minutes that he moved. He also did a little bit around the house, emptying the smaller trash cans and getting his own drinks. But yesterday it really brought home how little he's doing. More on that later.

It's been a busy week, off and on. Our little Mouse didn't feel well Sunday. I could tell he had a fever and he didn't want to eat. He was also sensitive on his side when I would try to pet him. Bill said he jumped down awkwardly from the stereo, but a lot of times if his stump hits the floor, it sounds worse than it is. Anyway, I took him to the vet Monday morning and he was really concerned because his fever was 103.3. So he kept him for the day to run some tests. When I picked him up it could have been much worse. He has a urinary tract infection. I've since found that this is common in young males up to the age of 2 or 3 and he's just past a year. It also explains why I was catching him peeing in their beds and the toy box although I thought it was just his age. Dr. Cato agreed that it was probably the UTI, but said we need to get the "other" taken care of sooner rather than later. So this week, when he goes back for his check-up he will come home a new man! They did sedate him this time so they could xray and he didn't fully come out of that until about 11 that night. All he wanted to do was lay in my arms like a baby (on his back, cuddled), so I was prepared to sleep in the recliner, but that's when he finally came around. We went to bed and at 2 when I got up to use the bathroom he was laying in the bathroom, so he needed the cold floor. He took his medicine well for a couple of days with the help of Cheez Whiz on the tip of the syringe, but the last time I shot it straight down his throat and choked him! But, he's back to himself now.

I called the podiatrist to see if I could pick up a prescription of prednisone that we had talked about and was told that it wasn't a prescription but a steroid shot and the cost would be $250! And since this is the dr. who doesn't take my insurance, I decided that was too much, when a paper script would only entail a $20 co-pay probably, so I declined. I called the orthopedic clinic I had gone to a couple of years ago for the place on my Achilles and was really surprised that I could get in yesterday! And that's when we discovered how weak Bill still really is.

I had decided that I wasn't going to push his wheelchair, when it was my foot we were there for. But, I had an idea about the sling that holds the oxygen tanks. I attached it to the front of his walker with one of his medium size tanks on it had him push it around the house. Surprisingly, it didn't add any extreme weight to it and since it has straps for both top and bottom, it was secure enough that it didn't swing. When we got to the clinic in Memphis, even the handicap places are a good little distance from the door and Bill had to stop twice to catch his breath, and then sit before we could make it to the registration desk. When he was able to move again, I told him to find a seat and I would find him after I checked in. So, that told both of us he's really got to start moving. I did pick him up at the front door when we left to make it easier on both of us and it was pretty hot too.

Now, for my foot. This dr. somewhat agreed with the other dr. He said it is plantar fasciitis and it was caused by all the walking I did at the hospital. (I told Bill it is all his fault!). He took a bazillion x-rays with my foot in all kinds of positions to make sure there wasn't a stress fracture or bone spurs or something else amiss. He looked at the inserts that Dr. Duncan had given me and said they were too still and didn't cushion the heel enough. He did explain that at night when resting, my arch is fine and properly arched, but when walking or standing, the longer that time is, the more the tendon stretches and pulls the arch flatter. He wants me to wear New Balance or Brooks shoes and he gave me some gel heel cups to wear. They feel really weird, but they can go in any shoe (won't work well with sandals) and can just be wiped clean with a damp cloth. He also has prescribed a steroid "pack" not sure what that will really be since there was a pharmacy mix-up. He wants to see me in 4-6 weeks and said if it's better I can cancel the appointment. He said there are several different things we can try and aside from surgery, the shot is a last resort. I have some stretching exercises to do and I will do them (especially if I want Bill to do his)! So today I will go shopping for shoes, again. 

The meds were not at the pharmacy when we got into town and they are now closed through Monday. But, I got an email from Walmart saying that my prescription was ready! So they sent it to the wrong pharmacy and I could have had it last night since we had to stop at Walmart on the way home anyway. So, I'll run out there this morning and pick it up. The email showed the cost was a whopping $3.85, much better than $250!

So, that's been our week for the most part. Even though I'm tired I feel like we need to just get away for a bit without having a goal in mind or an appointment to go to. So, may see about just taking a ride. Oh yeah, Bryan's son Christopher was sworn in as a city police officer this week. He's wanted to be a cop for a long time, but his mother's family owned the local Dominos franchise and he was the manager. But, a difference of opinion with corporate caused him to resign, so he was able to pursue the academy. We're really proud of him. Now I wonder if he will overlook his Grandma speeding through town!

Have a good holiday week-end, but remember the reason for the holiday while you are enjoying your barbecues and parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment