Saturday, May 4, 2019

Seems like it's been a long time since I've been here. Maybe because it was such a hectic week. But, God is good and He got us to Florida and back with no mishaps, but more importantly...Bill had a great checkup!

I must admit I was tired this trip and was glad that I had given us a free day before all of the appointments started on Wednesday. We did a little shopping and both of us got haircuts. If any of you are in the Jacksonville area and need a haircut, see Kelly at Hair Cuttery next to Target on Beach Blvd. 

I also realized that I had not packed us enough clothes and our shopping was actually a bust. The shirt I got Bill was too small and the one I got for myself was too big, even though it was by a company that I've worn before, in the same size that I wear. I haven't decided if I'm going to return it (Walmart) or wash it and see if it shrinks some. But, we made do.

Wednesday started the tests. Labs were first and then we were able to have breakfast. We also had about a 2 1/2 hour wait before the next appointment. I think I've said before that the campus is three buildings all connected. The labs were done in building 3, the cafeteria is in building 1. So it was quite a trek. The next appointment was in building 2, but the best waiting area is in building 3, so we sat in the atrium and listened to live piano until it was time. The volunteers play the piano daily and it is available for anyone to play. Some are really good, some not so much. And, no, I haven't played it. The old fingers don't work as well anymore and I don't carry music with me. Anyway, back upstairs to get across to building 2 for an echo. This time I was able to go with him for the echo, and those just fascinate me, watching the heart work.

After that it was on to building 1 for the final 3 appointments. They were all done in the same area, one right after the other, and on the same floor we were already on. The buildings are connected only on certain floors so sometimes it's go across to a building then up or down in the elevators. When the final test was done, it was back to the beginning in building 3 since that is where I had parked. We had also made an extra trip to the car to swap oxygen tanks, so a lot of walking...for me. Bill got to ride in his wheelchair. And, by the way, the sling that we got that fits the back of the chair worked beautifully! The tank was totally out of the way, yet I could keep an eye on the gauge to see how full it was.

The first night we were there we went to our favorite pizza place, and the first bite of that pizza was so good. I just sat and closed my eyes. We devoured the entire thing in very short time. Bill was restricted the next night because of the labs and bone scan so we ate salads, his with grilled chicken, mine with crispy (I wasn't restricted). So, Wednesday night we went to a little diner in Jacksonville Beach that we like and I told Bill he could eat anything he wanted. He ordered fish and chips. It also came with a salad and, as the restaurant is owned by Greeks, it was of course a Greek salad. I enjoyed mine, except for the olives, and Bill ate some of his and then the fish came. There were 4 huge pieces of fish, piled on top of homemade french fries and a bowl of green beans. He just looked at it and I just told him to eat what he wanted. He ate EVERY piece of fish, and most of the fries! I told the waitress that it was the most he had eaten in 4 months!

 When we saw Stephanie Thursday morning, most of that time was spent going over meds and deciding how we were going to do those. Since Memphis doesn't want to follow him, they don't want to refill the scripts either. So, Mayo is going to do some of those, but leave the insulin to our regular dr., and 1 to the kidney dr., and 1 to Dr. Burbeck. She may also be able to do the kidney one. It's Lasix and Dr. Morris, the kidney dr. from the hospital had ordered it to improve his kidney function, but it will also keep fluid from his lungs, so she, Dr. Burbeck can manage it. Then, it was time for Dr. Patel. So, here's what you've all been waiting for...

The heart is still doing fine. His ejection fraction is 56%, which is pretty good. All of his labs were good, including his Prograf level and his cholesterol is perfect. The bone scan shows no change from the last one, mild osteoparosis, (or however it's spelled), but he takes calcium for that. The chest x-ray does show progressing emphysema, which we expected. But the best news for me was, his lungs sound CLEAR! Dr. Patel heard no unusual sounds, just good air moving.

He did say that the main problem now is conditioning and strengthening and that if he doesn't get stronger, even a little, he will end up back in the hospital sometime during the year. So, he stressed how important it will be for him to continue his exercises from physical therapy. Bill agreed, but it remains to be seen if he will follow through.

There have been a couple of med tweaks. I asked about the one that keeps his blood pressure up since a couple of times I've taken it it has been in the higher range. Dr. Patel said that if it is over 120 to hold it, at least 1 dose a day. He said as long as he stays in what is usual for him, which is low 100s, he could come off it. He also is dropping his Prograf. If you remember when he was in the hospital I asked one of the nurses since they were playing with that level if it was to give his immune system a chance to fight the infection yet still keep it surpressed enough to ward of rejection. Well, Stephanie called after we were on the road and said that Dr. Patel wanted his level at 4 instead of 7...to fight the infection! So, my logic was right. So, we are lowering the dose by just a little bit.

The trip home was uneventful and we got in about 2 yesterday afternoon. I was completely wiped out by the time I got Bill in and then loved on the cats and then got the car unloaded. Mouse was the surprise for us, he actually was very vocal with meows (he usually just chirps and makes his feral cat sounds) and he wanted held, which is really odd. We were in bed by 9, but I didn't sleep real well. We've gone from king-sized beds in the hotel rooms, back to our double bed, which would be OK, but we added 2 cats! Kitty slept on my pillow most of the night (above my head), and Mouse was at my feet. I could barely move! But, back to normal this morning anyway, up by 4:30 for breakfast for them, and then they go back to sleep! But, it gives me time to do this while it's quiet and have my coffee. I still need to get the bills paid for the month and this place is a wreck with cat toys and suitcases everywhere. But, it all doesn't have to be done today!

So, that's it. As I said, God is good! Happy May! Don't forget to watch the Kentucky Derby, Mom. It's on at the same time as the Cubs/Cards game so I don't know if we'll flip it over or not. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment