Monday, December 31, 2018

Well, all good things must come to an end. Don't panic, it's just a setback, but after the good days lately, it was a little disheartening.

When I got to the hospital this morning, Bill was back on the vent...in vent mode. I asked Dr. Munday why and he didn't know. He said he was on call and was not called, so they must have called Dr. Edwards. Now, why would you call the cardiologist when it was clearly a pulmonary decision? I finally found out that after a blood gases test, his oxygen level dropped and his CO2 went up along with another bad number and he was confused.

He was still a little confused this morning...and then they gave him his Xanax. Usually for older patients, the standard dose is .25 mg. He was given .5 mg. He was fascinated with his feet and stared at the ceiling. I asked him if he saw anything up there and he said snakes. He didn't want to get in the chair with therapy today, but did it anyway, and as soon as they got him moved, Dr. Munday's nurse came in and said they were doing another bronchoscopy! The nurse told her he just got in the chair and needed to sit for at least an hour. During that hour, his speech became very slurred and he was very confused. That's when I questioned the dosage and the nurse agreed that maybe it needed to be reduced.

Finally put him back to bed and he kept worrying with the remote and kept wanting to push the nurse button for the TV. We finally just gave him his suction tube to hold and he worried it around in his hands, still fascinated with his feet. He told me he wanted to get up and walk and for us to drive right out of there.

They did the bronch this afternoon and he was still asleep when I came home. I was going to stay since he was so confused, but since he slept all afternoon, and had still been up all night, even with meds, I figured one of us needed some sleep to deal with whatever tomorrow brings. They are going to give him 2 different drugs tonight, Respitrol and Benadryl. Hopefully the combination with work.
 
They did follow my suggestions for keeping the room dark and quiet, but they opened the blinds in his door and window...which let in all the light from the nurses station! So, even though they kept all the lights off in the room, the room was probably just about as bright as it would have been with the lights on!

I'm hoping tonight will be different and he can get some rest. I told his day nurse that if he got agitated to call me and I would talk to him. Although there isn't a phone in his room, but they all have cellphones, both hospital ones and their personal ones. So we will see.

I felt much better after the meds kicked in this morning, but I don't believe I'll try to stay up for the new year. We never do anyway, but the gunfire will wake me so I can tell the cats happy new year.

I've seen some strange things on my trips to the hospital. There's a trucking company that looks more like a junkyard that has a Ferris Wheel set up, not running, but it is all lit up at night. Yesterday morning I saw a sky diver over West Memphis. Mistie told me she sees them all the time when she's working in West Memphis. And this morning, before daylight, there was a car screaming north...in the southbound lanes of the interstate. Luckily the car that had just passed me realized that it was on our side and moved to the right lane. I don't know what happened, just prayed that everyone would be safe until the driver realized what he/she was doing.

So, that's how our year has ended. I had every intention of paying bills tonight, but I'm getting too tired for that tonight. I guess I'll pay the ones that must be paid in the morning and the rest can wait a day, or until tomorrow night. I'm going to get some ice cream and then go to bed before long. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment