Tuesday, January 1, 2019

I wondered what I would find when I got to the hospital this morning. Would it be a wide awake yet confused Bill, who would disagree with everyone about everything and then sleep all day? Or would it be an awake and alert Bill, who would cooperate with everyone, even if he did nap during the day?

Wonderfully I found the awake and alert Bill, who was talking up a storm as soon as I got in the room!  Unfortunately, I'm still terrible at lip reading and when I gave him his white board, he didn't like that I have put "William Haven #2934" on it and wrote "Bill Haven".

They had to find me another chair as the room had been raided in the night. Apparently a new patient came in after I left. I hope they decontaminated it, as everything that leaves the room has to be really wiped down. Anyway, Caleb found me another recliner from step-down, but it's really old and not really comfortable. But it's a little wider than the other one and I can curl up in it more, which is my favorite way to sit anyway. Hopefully it will be there in the morning.

Bill was turned away from me, it was time for him to face the other way. They still turn him every couple of hours since he can't roll himself yet. So, I stood over on that side and he reached out for my hand. When I gave it to him, he raised it to his mouth and kissed it. He also made me break my record of not crying! I did tear up a little, but none fell, so I decided that doesn't count as crying! And for the record, I haven't cried since last Wednesday!

He was put on the trach collar this morning and was still on it when I left. He did really well for the most part. Dr. Munday said he thought the plan would be going back to CPAP at night and maybe the next day so he doesn't get so tired and then do it again, but it might just be CPAP at night and trach collar during the day, every day. The only time he had a hard time was when he was turned onto his side during his bath, and I think it just scares him that he's being held in an awkward position right up against the bed rails. Once he was put back on his back and raised he was able to calm himself and get his breathing back under control.

Stacy, his nurse, was very good with him all day. She's a little older than most of the other nurses and she likes to work alone as much as possible. When she gave him his bath she washed 1 arm and leg and then covered that, then his chest and covered that and then the other arm and leg. Most of the others completely strip him and wash all over and then rinse and lotion and he fights them over it. But she was very gentle with him. She also let him see the feeding tube and his catheter and talked to him about those so that he wouldn't fiddle with them. She also made sure his tubing was not pulling on his trach, as it is very sore.

Dr. Threlkeld has stopped the antibiotics. He's still going to monitor his numbers and if they need restarted, or different ones used, he'll do that. But for now, he thinks they've done enough. The Isuprel for his heart rate has also been stopped. The only thing he gets IV now is one of his transplant meds. The rest are dissolved in water and pushed through his feeding tube.

Dr. Munday also said that they did not get a lot of gunk out yesterday during the bronch and he was pleased with that. Bill sounded much better today and only had to be suctioned a little, especially after he would cough.

When I left I not only gave Bill the standard no wild parties or dancing girls and he kind of looked around like he would think about it and I told him I had seen all the smiles and winks he had given Stacy through the day and he better not do any more flirting! She was in the room at the time and they both laughed.

So, we had a good start to the year. I'm sure there will still be setbacks, but as long as he keeps moving forward, we'll take each day as it comes. And now, I'm either going to finish paying the bills, all the ones that had to be paid early in the month are paid, so I can really wait a day or two to pay others, or I'm going to curl up and just watch TV for a bit with the cats. Mouse is really wanting some cuddles right now and keeps jumping on my lap.

More to come tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment