Sunday, January 13, 2019

I came home early today, just not feeling well. Already have my pjs on and could easily go to bed. I slept from 8 until 4:30 last night. Tonight I'll take some more cold medicine and see if I can knock this out.

When I got to the hospital, I found out just how bad Bill was. By the time they realized what he was doing, he had the trach cannula almost completely out of his throat! I thought they meant that he kept disconnecting it from the vent. He may have done that first because it now has an accordian end on it now. It will bend before it will disconnect. He had also been picking at the little thing they attach to his finger to measure his oxygen, so they put it on his forehead. When I went to get some lunch, in the time I was down there and bringing the food back up, he had taken it off! We made a deal, and shook hands on it, that he wouldn't take anything off or try to pull anything out or they would have to tie his hands again.

Dr. Munday did bronch him this morning and got a lot of really thick stuff out again. But when Rachael suctioned him later, she barely got anything, so he must have really gotten him clean.

Dr. Threlkeld said that the antibiotics are working, that the numbers he watches were much better. He said it's just a process that takes time.

Occupational therapy came in and Bill sat on the edge of the bed for 3 minutes, much of it with minimal support. He also helped get his legs over the side of the bed. When he was back in bed they did some shoulder exercises and some leg exercises, but by the time she got to the right leg he was almost asleep and didn't help as much.

He took a little snooze then and when he woke up I told him I was heading home early. I didn't tell him I didn't feel well, just that there were some things here at home to do. And there are, but I haven't felt like doing any of them. They were going to put him in his chair and I imagine they would position it so that they could watch him since I'm not there. He wasn't too keen on the idea, but I'm sure Rachael could get him to do it.

That's it for today. Since it is Sunday, there weren't as many drs. in and about. That's another reason I didn't feel too bad about leaving early. Rachael thinks they will have an open bed tomorrow in restorative care. I just know they said it should be this week. So I don't want to miss any days if they are going to move him.

Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow. I'm not running any fever so I don't think I'm a danger to him. I can always put on a mask! For now I'm going to heat my chicken and dumplings from the other night and curl up on the couch. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment