Saturday, January 5, 2019

My laptop is still acting up. Worked on it all evening, well not all evening since I went to bed at 8:30, the entire time I was up. I was supposed to be setting up Bill's little tablet combo. I didn't have any problem exchanging the first one that wouldn't come on, but I couldn't do some of the stuff with the hospital internet.

Dr. Fox did the bronch yesterday morning before I got there and everything went fine. Bill was awake and on the trach collar when I got there and talking up a storm again. I couldn't understand a lot of it and he wasn't getting much voice out so it was hard to hear over the sound of the oxygen flow and the tv. He really wants to get out of that room. I may ask if he could be put in a wheelchair with portable oxygen, vitals monitor and his feeding tube stand and take a little spin around the unit. I see the other patients walking with multiple IV poles and monitors all around the unit with therapy. I think it would do him good to get out of that room for a few minutes.

Shortly after I got there he was put into the stroke chair and he stood again. While standing he gave his nurse Jacinta a hug! I think it may have been more of a "hang on for dear life" hug, but it was a hug. It also made me break my 10 day record of not crying! He wasn't comfortable in the chair, but he did work with physical therapy on his arms and legs. I think he's supposed to be in the chair now every day. His numbers improved while he was in it because he could inflate his lungs more.

Jacinta showed him on the clock where the hands had to be before he could get back to bed and he really watched it for awhile. He had settled down some by the time it made it to the goal and I was going to catch her eye to tell her to let it got longer, but she and another nurse snuck by the door to gown up. But, they were getting a new patient in the room next door so they were going to be busy.

When I went down to get some lunch, I let an employee get in line ahead of me. They have a designated line for checkout between 11 and 1 and it was about 1:30 and only 2 lines were open. I had gotten a few chicken strips and they have to be weighed so he told me to put them on the scale. I just thought he wanted to make sure I knew they had to be weighed, but he bought my lunch! I tried to dissuade him by telling him I had all the time in the world and he was on a schedule but he wouldn't hear it. So, I went back and told Bill he better watch out flirting with the nurses since I had a nice man buy my lunch!

Chad from respiratory came in and they finally started some breathing treatments to try to keep the mucus thinner so that he can cough it up instead of having to bronch him every 2-3 days. That can't be good for him, but I can't find anything saying if there is a limit on how many should be done. Bill was able to cough a lot out and we used his little suction device.

About 4 he told me that he wanted to take a nap so I told him that if he was going to sleep for awhile, I was going to come home. I had planned on staying later since I got there later but I couldn't see staying if he was just going to sleep. He agreed that I could leave but wanted to know how early I would be there today. I told him about 7:30, which means I've got to get this finished and hit the road in about 30 minutes. But, it's Saturday, so traffic shouldn't be too bad this morning.

So, that's it. It was a pretty boring day. Maybe today will bring something new for him. I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment